22. Thunder

'Why did he walk away? Did I say something wrong?'

Jericho felt numb. Leaving with Abel and then shutting himself up at home in his room seemed appealing. This was why he wished he hadn't said anything, now or earlier. He finally opened up to him, after all the promises and the declarations and everything he'd been through up until this point, and for what?

To become an invested, emotional wreck whenever he fell in love with someone? It was pathetic, and it hurt, and now precisely what he thought would happen, happened. But it was far too late now. Joseph had already carved out an exceptionally large place for himself in his heart, even before realizing his feelings.

He couldn't move. Fiddling with the polyester hem of the jersey Joseph let him wear instead and staring down at his sneakers. It smelt like him; ginger, vanilla, and tobacco leaf.

And, at the moment, he disliked the warmth blooming in his chest and his cheeks. His hands were colder than before, but he couldn't be bothered to put them back into his pockets either.

Knowing full well that it wouldn't feel the same. The brown-haired boy was so lost in his thoughts that he didn't even notice Joseph standing right back in front of him again until he leaned over the wire barrier.

The other's eyes softened considerably after he glanced up, concerned crocodile green irises trying to search his for something, what? He wasn't exactly sure.

"Jericho?"

The blond frowned, reached out, and put a knuckle under his chin, lifting his head fully, and definitely seeing the stupid fucking tears in his eyes now.

Jericho clenched his jaw and glared as he reached up to grab his wrist. Fully intending to pull the big hand right off him and then demand to know what the hell that was.

"Joey, please just—"

Joseph let go first and started yanking off his jersey and then the bulky shoulder pads, still being careful of his nose and placing them on the ground next to him. Leaving him in only his compression top. He hopped over the fence that separated the field from the bleachers and dragged him away from prying eyes, engulfing him in a hug.

"Sorry, I'm sweaty."

He wrapped his arms around his neck and shoulders and squeezed. The shorter kept his limp at his sides and tried to squirm out of his hold, but to no avail. The embrace seemed to tighten the more he struggled until he couldn't move much at all.

"You done?"

Jericho hesitantly returned the hug, squeezing as hard as he could, out of spite, and pouting but making sure he didn't see it. He always seemed to have an explanation for everything. But he wasn't letting go of the quarterback until he was satisfied with the reason he gave for why he bounced after the brown-haired boy bared his soul to him.

Too much had happened this morning. He was... sensitive, and his usually stone-cold and uncaring façade had been crumbling away slowly but surely throughout the day. Things that he didn't usually let bother him upset or angered him to a concerning degree. Joseph amplified his emotions even more. He swears he'll be the death of him.

"'Cho, baby, you jump to conclusions faster than lightnin'. Given the situation, though, I should've said somethin' before I walked off." He was quiet for a bit as he gently rocked them side to side and then continued in a mumble, "Truth be told, I was a little mad at me too; you looked so anxious about mentionin' it. I don't ever want you to feel like you can't talk to me."

The shorter boy snuggled further into his neck and hummed against the damp skin there in response.

"I told Jessica about us, and then she went off on me. Guess she didn't believe all the rumors because she said some shit about wantin' to hear it from me herself. If I had told her earlier, none of this would have happened, though. Hey," Joseph loosened his hold and leaned back, "look at me."