The Broadway Star

Start from the beginning

Sometime later, we arrive at the edge of a forest. I glance around but can 't see any sort of path or marking to show where we are. We both get out of the car and he starts walking into the forest, gesturing for me to follow him. I reluctantly follow and together we duck into the trees. 

As we walk, many questions have arisen in my mind and I decide to speak up. 

"You're not going to kill me out here or anything, right?" He just laughs and shakes his head while looking over at me. 

"I promise that I will not murder you while we are on our date, or any time in the future." 

"Okay..." He chuckles again and grabs my hand, as we continue to step over fallen branches and tree trunks. 

"Okay, just step through here and.." He trails off and I wonder for a second what he was going to say, but the thought is immediately wiped away when I see where we are. 

We are standing at the edge of a giant clearing filled with millions of beautiful flowers. The sun is hitting the land just right and giving it an ethereal glow. I look over at Jughead in awe, and he gently leads me into the flowers. I carefully step over them as to not trample any, and lean down to smell a few as we walk by. Once we find a suitable place, Jughead grabs a blanket from the bag I had no idea he was carrying, and lays it down. 

"Sit." He demands and I do. He reaches into his bag again, but this time emerges with a bag of takeout from the Chinese restaurant in town. He sits down right beside me and pulls out all kinds of containers. 

"I wasn't sure what you liked, so I just grabbed everything." He looks embarrassed, but I just giggle and start opening the different containers. 

As we eat we talk about everything and anything. The scent of the flowers surrounds us as we talk and laugh. 

"So remember when I asked you what you do and you said I'll think it's silly? I promise that I won't laugh or make fun of you." He has a genuine look on his face, and I sigh while playing with the frayed ends of the blanket. 

"Well, right now I'm just a hostess at a restaurant, but my dream...is to be a broadway star. When we met I was preparing for an audition that was yesterday. I know it's weird and not a realistic dream but it's what I want, y'know? All I've wanted ever since I was a little girl and begging my parents to let me take voice lessons. So far, I've only gotten little parts in local stuff, but I hope one day I can be up on that stage in New York. Living out my dream." I finally sneak a look up at him, and see a small smile on his face. 

"You said you wouldn't laugh." I remind and he just shakes his head. 

"I'm not laughing, I promise. I'm just thinking about how extraordinary you are. I think you can do what ever you want to, Betty." 

I grin and reach up taking his face in my hands. I lean forward and connect our lips in a sweet kiss, which he reciprocates by placing his hands on my waist and pulling me tighter against him. 

March 20th, 2018

I stir the noodles in the pot while humming a tune that has been stuck in my head. I sing the words to myself, and pour more pepper into the pot. I don't hear the sound of footsteps enter the kitchen with me, and jump when a strong pair of arms wrap around my waist. I feel him pepper light kisses on the back of my neck and grip me tighter. 

"You are a beautiful singer, Betts. I love listening to you, it's like being in heaven." He murmurs against my neck and I just shake my head. 

"Yeah right." I scoff. He turns me around and forces me to look him in the eye. He isn't wearing his beanie, so his curly locks are all askew on his head and he's wearing nothing but a pair of sweatpants hung low on his hips. He is literally a god, I swear.