Episode One - Way Back When

"So, I'm guessing if you've managed to find this small, unknown podcast, that you're a huge true crime fan, like me. I'm guessing you've listened to them all and you're searching for something new.

Well, this is definitely going to be something new.

Unlike other true crime podcasts, I'm not some investigative journalist with a lot of research experience, nor am I used to public speaking. You won't get all the flashy editing and sound effects, nor will there be any funny banter between hosts because I'm running this alone. I'm also streaming each episode live, releasing it as I record.

I know, that might be crazy, but for me, it feels right. I want to do this my way in the hope that it'll make some difference. It's a last-ditch attempt, but I have to do something.

My name is Jennie Joplin, and this case is personal to me. This is something I need solving, and since I've exhausted every other avenue, I'm reaching out to the true-crime community for help. You see, eighteen months ago, my older sister vanished, and I have no idea what happened to her.

Now I know what you're probably thinking, a missing persons' case isn't that strange people vanish all the time. What makes this one so special? Why should I waste time listening to this podcast over others?

Trust me, stick with it and you'll soon find out that this isn't a typical missing person's case. There are so many twists and turns to it, it's insane. Stranger than fiction, some have said.

First thing I need to tell you about this story is that my sister isn't the only victim in this crime. She didn't just disappear alone; she isn't just a missing person. She also left behind three of her friends. Three of her coworkers, all murdered in the candy store where they worked. Brutally murdered as well.

We'll get into details about how the murders occurred a little bit later on in this episode, but just know this is bad. In fact, I should probably warn you that this won't be good listening for younger audiences. Like all true crime podcasts, there will be descriptions of violence that some listeners might not be able to handle.

But it isn't just that, there's more, including an online blog that's gained a bunch of followers. Some of you might already know it. I've faced opposition with my suggestion that she's the author of this blog, but I know. Trust me, I know it's her.

No, I didn't ever see her write it, but that doesn't mean I didn't know and I'll explain why as time goes on. You'll start to see why I just know.

And in this blog, my sister left behind a string of clues that I have been trying to unravel, ever since she vanished. I suppose the police have probably been trying to do the same thing since I passed on the information, but nothing seems to be moving in the case. I guess I don't even know if the police believe that this blog belongs to my family member. They might think I'm reaching, trying to find out whatever I can, but if it were your family member, wouldn't you do the same thing?

No one knows who killed those poor girls. No one knows where my sister is now. As far as I can see. There aren't any viable suspects in the case at all. I already know what you're going to say. The police can't give away all information on an active case. I know that. But trust me, that doesn't make it any easier. When it's your family in danger, that isn't a good enough excuse. This is why I need you to help me. This is why I can't do it alone anymore.

So, please, stick with me. Keep listening to the podcast and work out with me What Happened to Sephy? Yes, that's right. I'm telling you with full confidence that my sister was the author of the well-known blog: Sephy's Life.

Yes, that blog. The one that started with the famous post. One I'll read right now, just in case there are any of you who haven't seen it. The Internet is a big place, not everyone will have stumbled across all the pages. So, here we go:

Lies. 

All I speak are lies. 

My whole life is a freaking lie. No one really knows the true me. But I have reasons for that, and good ones too. I don't lie just for the sake of it. 

But I want at least someone to know the real me, even if it's just strangers on the Internet...even if it's just one person online. I don't really know if anyone's going to read it, but I'll get my truth out anyway in this blog. 

I have to.

I'll pause for a moment while you curse me under your breath, while you call me crazy and assume that I must've lost my damn mind, but I really do know that my sister, Lyla Joplin, really is Sephy. I have proof, which of course I'll get into. Because there might be something in that blog which gives us leads in the case. To find out who killed Tia Spencer, Molly Johnson, and Olivia Smith, and who has my sister now.

If she's still alive.

I'm obviously desperately holding onto the hope that she is, but realistically after a year and a half with no contact at all, it's getting slimmer by the moment. I knew before I even started this podcast that I'd have to get myself in the mindset that things might not go as I want them, that I might end up with bad news.

But I'm pushing forward anyway. I'll take whatever answer I can find because knowing something beats knowing nothing. I can't stand being in this limbo any longer. I don't feel like I have any choice.

So, just like Sephy posted in her first blog post: this is my truth and I need to get it out. 

Next episode, if you decide that I'm not crazy, and you do come back, will be the details of the crime. What was reported by the police and the rumors that came afterward. I don't know which of these are one hundred percent true, but that's what I'm hoping we're going to work through together.

If you stick with me, that is..."