25. Blake/Daniel

BLAKE

I opened my eyes, slightly confused, a nervous ache churning in the pit of my stomach. Looking around, I wasn't in my bedroom. No. I was in Henry's room, in Henry's bed. Something that felt like a fist pounded against my skull and I groaned, forced to close my eyes again. I curled into my bedsheets and my pillow. I never felt so tired. The exhaustion seeped into my bones and my eyes burned, making me eager to cry. I wanted to scream. I wanted to tear apart these sheets.

"Headache?" Someone asked.

I jumped, a gasp on my lips as I looked up to find Ignacio. Dressed in his fine leathers and silk flowing blouse, Ignacio sat in my bed, still in his boots and wearing all of his jewelry. He had the same tired look and dark bags under his eyes. Red skin and purple bags.

He said, "I brought you up some food. The staff are beginning to worry, Henry."

Right.

I hadn't left my room in a month. Not since Edward left on business again. This time, he made sure I wouldn't want to leave the house. Not unless I wanted everyone to see the bruises and the welts. Not unless I wanted to break my younger sibling's heart. Not unless I wanted to explain what happened to Nicolas...

Tears welled up in my eyes. I hadn't seen Nicolas in over a month. I clutched my sheets and closed my eyes, fighting back the memories. The pain had never left my skin. The devastation lingered in my chest and the moment of my greatest sorrow never ceased. I wondered if I was ever going to stop feeling like this.

"Edward sent a gift," Ignacio said and motioned to a box at the foot of the bed.

A horrible laugh flew out of my mouth. "He must feel a speck of guilt this time. That's the third one. Just put it away."

"You don't want to open it?"

"I don't need to open it. I know what it is..." I extended my foot and kicked the bottom of the box until it flipped off the bed and out of my sight. The anger in me rising to the top of my head and making my face burn. "It's some other horrible red costume. It's always red. Edward's signature color... and I hate it."

Edward's favorite color consumed me from the bed sheets, the curtains, the cushions and even the walls were the color red. Maybe that was why Edward liked to hit me. My skin reddened so easily, even with the briefest amount of pressure. Not that Edward did anything gently.

"My apologies," Ignacio said, his voice small.

It made me look at him. He had his hands in his lap, rubbing them nervously together. I had never seen him so unsure before. "It's not your doing... I'm happy you came to see me." That was the truth. "I didn't realize I was so starved for company."

"Well... I wanted to pay you back for your gift."

"Ignacio!" I smiled, and my cheeks ached from the lack of practice. "You're here to read to me?"

"No. Like I said, all my trades must be equal. No mortal has ever given me a gift before, so I wanted to give you something no mortal should have."

"That sounds exciting."

The sleeping butterflies in my chest awoken and fluttered all around, stretching their wings. I sat up, wincing at the pain still in my side. "Go on," I encouraged him.

"Remember what I told you? I'm a demon."

"I remember."

"But there's more in this world than demons and humans. There're all kinds of creatures that are real, including witches."