Chapter 11

DAMON’S POV

“No way. I’m not doing this.” Jeremy says strongly as we stand in this bar surrounded by drowsy new vampires.

“What makes you think you have a choice?” Klaus questions him.

I turn to face Jeremy because I know he’s pissed at me. “You have to kill vampires to complete the hunter’s mark. Mark equals cure. You’re in a bar full of almost vampires, so get your hunt on.” I tell him.

“Screw you!” He yells at me. “You said I wouldn’t have to kill any innocent people.”

“Jeremy, they’re not people.” I remind him.

“Enough.” Klaus interrupts us. “Have at it, or else.”

“I don’t take orders from you, dick.” Jeremy spits throwing his stake to the ground. “Hunters can’t be compelled.”

Klaus walks over to him with a smile. “You’re right. I can’t compel you. But if your conscience is getting in the way, then allow me to make this easy for you. Because, I can compel them.” He says, pointing to the vampires who have woken up.

I roll my eyes when I see that Klaus has compelled other people to feed these new vampires their blood to complete the transition.

“I’m gonna give you a two minute head start. Then, I’m gonna send every vampire in here after you. You kill them, or they kill your friend…Matt.” Klaus says and I freeze up.

“Wait a second!” Matt yells.

“No, no.” I say, stepping into the middle of this. “You turn them, Jeremy kills them. That was the deal, Klaus.”

“I’m taking an artistic license.” Klaus smirks.

“You know he can’t take them all on at the same time.” I argue.

“With you as his coach, he’ll be fine. It’s Matt I’m worried about.” He says with a smile plastered to his face.

I sigh and shake my head before turning to Jeremy. “Go get the weapons out of the car. I’ll be right behind you. Both of you.” I say and they both run out of the bar.

“If I hear an engine start, I’ll kill Matt myself!” Klaus yells after them.

Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea after all.

***

I take off running through the woods, looking for Matt and Jeremy, but I stop when I smell blood. That’s not good.

I come around a tree to see Matt holding a piece of cloth to his neck. There’s a dead body lying on the ground next to them. Looks like Matt was already attacked by one of these newbie vampires, but thankfully, Jeremy took the guy out.

Before I can say anything, Jeremy holds up a crossbow and fires it at me. I catch the arrow way too easily.

“Don’t hesitate.” I scold him. “You’re lucky it was me. Otherwise you’d both be dead.”

“You set us up.” Jeremy says angrily.

“I was trying to get this thing over with. You’re the one that pissed off Klaus. Now you have to fight your way out of it.” I tell him as Matt stands up.

“Alright, where are the other vampires?” He asks.

“They’re newbies. They’re still trying to figure out how to track, which means you have two seconds to get ready to fight.” I tell Jeremy.

He turns to look at Matt. “The lake house is this way. If we can get there, they won’t be able to get inside.”

“Wait, you want to run?” I question.