Chapter 6

ELENA’S POV

I roll around in bed, but I cannot seem to fall asleep. I get out of bed and see Ashley sleeping on the floor. She said she would stay with me for the night because she felt bad about all the lying and she wanted to make sure I was okay. I walk down the steps to the kitchen to get a glass of water.

“Can’t sleep?” I hear a voice ask and I spin around to see Connor standing in the doorway to the kitchen. What is going on? “You know, it makes sense. Guilty conscience.” He taunts me.

“You’re not here.” I tell myself. “I’m dreaming.”

“And how do you know that I’m not here?” Connor asks with a smirk as he leans against the counter.

“Because you’re…” I trail off.

“Go on, say it.”

“Because you’re dead.” I say softly, disgusted with myself.

“Yes, I am. Was that the first time that you’ve taken a human life?” He asks me, walking closer.

“You’re a ghost. That’s gotta be it. You’re a ghost, that’s what’s happening right now. Ashley!” I yell hoping that she’ll come down and save me from this weird nightmare. “You’re a ghost, haunting me.” I tell him again.

“Can a ghost do this?” He asks before lunging towards me and grabbing my throat. I gasp for breath before shoving him off of me with all of my strength. He flies across the room and lands on the ground.

I back away as he stands up. Thinking fast, I grab a knife from the counter and plunge it into his stomach. I hear a scream and when I pull the knife out, Connor is gone.

Ashley gasps in pain before falling to the ground. What the hell? I stabbed Ashley. No. This cannot be happening. I kneel down next to her and pull her head into my lap as he eyes flutter shut.

I quickly bite into my wrist and press it to her mouth and the wound on her stomach begins to heal.

What have I done?

DAMON’S POV

I got to Elena’s house in record time when she told me what happened. When I get there, Ashley is asleep on the couch and Elena is pacing back and forth in front of the couch while Jeremy sits in a chair in the corner.

“I can’t believe this happened.” Elena says in a panic.

“You should have called Stefan.” I tell her as I kneel down next to Ashley’s body. I take her hand in mine and I can feel her temperature returning to normal. She’s gonna be okay. Thank god.

“I didn’t want to talk to him. He’s been lying to me and hiding things from me. He compelled Jeremy to forget god knows what. At least Ashley apologized.” Elena tells me.

“In all fairness, I mean, I think you stabbing Ashley is a little more important than lying.” I point out. “And you should have called Stefan.” I repeat.

“I don’t trust him right now, Damon.” She says as the front door opens and Stefan hurries into the house.

Elena’s eyes land on me as I stand up straight. “PS, I called Stefan.” I admit.

“What happened?” Stefan asks with worry as he sees Ashley lying on the couch, covered in blood.

“I just…I need to go upstairs and shower…clean the blood off my hands.” Elena says quietly and Jeremy follows her up the steps.

“Damon?” I hear a groggy voice and I turn to see Ashley’s eyes open.

“Hey, I’m here.” I say as I bend down next to her again. “Welcome back. How are you feeling?” I ask her with a small smile.