Chapter 10

ASHLEY’S POV

“Carol Lockwood always said that togetherness in times of tragedy leads to healing, that one community is stronger than a thousand members. But how does a community stay strong after losing it’s leader?” Liz Forbes speaks.

Everyone is gathered in the high school gymnasium for the memorial service of Carol Lockwood. I can’t believe this is all happening, but as I look around the room at all of the sad faces, it sinks in.

“And Carol was so much more than a leader. She was an open-minded friend and a concerned mother, taken from us too soon by a terrible accident.” Liz continues.

“Screw this.” Tyler spits from beside me as he stands up.

“What? Tyler? Tyler?” Caroline tries to call him back, but he storms out of the gym.

“Please join me in observing a moment of silence in her memory.” Liz finishes and everyone puts their heads down.

I see Elena look over to the doorway, but then she looks away quickly. “Are you okay?” I hear Bonnie ask Elena quietly.

“Be right back.” She says before getting up and walking out.

I haven’t really talked to Elena since she came home a few nights ago, but I don’t know if I want to either. I’m not mad at her, I just…I don’t know what’s happening and now is not the time since our mayor has just died and people aren’t really sure how it happened.

“Thank you so much. In the wake of this tragedy, the town has selected an interim mayor. Many of you may already know him. Please welcome Mr. Rudy Hopkins.” Liz announces as I think about how Carol Lockwood died.

In my mind, there’s only one logical explanation after the events of that night.

***

“Hey, you just missed the mandatory school assembly.” I tell Stefan on the phone as I walk through the crowds of people at school.

“Well, that’s because I’m at a mandatory all day drinking party.” He says and I start to worry.

“Seriously? You decided to go on ripper bender now?” I ask, trying to stay quiet.

“My brother slept with Elena. It kinda puts a damper on things.” He says. I know that we slept together too, but I understand why Stefan is upset. I am too.

“First of all, you weren’t supposed to know that, and second of all, Tyler is already spiraling. He stormed out of the memorial.” I warn Stefan.

“His mother just died. What do you expect?”

“I know and he hates that everyone keeps referring to her death as an accident, which is just a really polite way of saying she was drunk.” I explain.

“You think Klaus killed her?” He asks and I’m glad that he seems to be thinking that too.

“Well, I don’t think she drowned in her martini glass.” I say with a sigh. “Just, please get it together. Everyone needs you.” I tell him before hanging up.

DAMON’S POV

I’m standing on the dock while Matt helps Jeremy train. I’m listening to a voicemail that Elena left after I sent her away the other night.

“Hey, it’s me. Look, I know why you sent me away. You think what I’m feeling for you is because of the sire bond. But I hate not being hear you. And I—”

I stop the voicemail and slide the phone back into my pocket because this isn’t supposed to be happening. She isn’t supposed to develop real feelings for me when I’m trying to push her away.