Chapter 9

DAMON’S POV

I wake up and look over to see Elena lying next to me. Stefan and Ashley are gonna kill me.

“This would be so much more fun if we were naked.” I tease groggily, trying to keep the mood light.

“That was you call, not mine.” She says, rolling over to face me.

“I was being a gentleman. You shouldn’t have stayed.”

“I know.” She smirks as I stand up and walk over to my dresser.

“I should have made you leave. Sent you packing. I promised Stefan.” I groan.

“I know.” She repeats, sitting up in bed.

“You’re sired to me, Elena. Which means everything you think you feel might not even be real.” I remind her.

“I know, Damon, but it feels real.” She says, walking over to me. “And I’m not ready to let go of that.”

“Well, I can make you. I can invoke the sire bond.” I say with a shrug.

“So do it.” She whispers. Her body is only a foot away from me.

“I told him I would set you free. Right after I didn’t tell him that we slept together.” I say in frustration.

“So, what do you want to do?” She asks and I sigh.

I don’t know what I want to do. I know that there’s a hole in my heart where someone else used to be. Now I can’t tell if my feelings for Elena are real or if it’s just my mind trying to fill that hole.

All I know is that I need to do something to get my mind off of all of this.

“I wanna throw you back in my bed and never let you leave.” I whisper, not sure how much of that is true.

“So do it.” She says with a grin. I lean in and am about to kiss her when her phone buzzes and she pulls away.

“Saved by the cell phone.” I mumble to myself.

“I have to meet Bonnie. She’s teaching Jeremy how to not kill me.” Elena says, rolling her eyes. She walks away from me to get her bag, but she stops and turns back around. “Wanna come?”

ASHLEY’S POV

Stefan and I still would like to find this cure for Elena. Whether Damon is in the picture or not, Elena has changed since her transition and I want the old Elena back. I told Stefan I would try to see if Klaus is still on our side in all of this.

He wasn’t a big fan of the idea, but he let me go because he knows that Klaus won’t hurt me.

“That’s beautiful.” I say as I walk into Klaus’ living room. He’s facing away from me, painting a giant snowflake on a canvas.

“I prefer to think of it as an expression of post modernism.” He says, lowering his brush and turning to look at me. “It’s my donation to the Winter Wonderland charity event tonight.”

I’m about to speak when Klaus’ hybrid, Adrian walks into the room. “You said it was urgent.” He says to Klaus.

“Yes, take this to the Mystic Grill immediately.” Klaus demands, pointing at the painting.

“You want me to be a delivery guy?” Adrian scoffs.

Klaus walks over and stands close to Adrian. “What I want is for you to do whatever I say. Without the attitude.”

Adrian glares at him a moment before taking the painting and leaving the room.

“Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves, you know.” I say and he turns his attention back to me.