6

Once we were done shopping, I decided I should probably get home before Jackson did something crazy to blow my cover — like ask Mom for a key to the bathroom

There was no key; we lost those years ago.

Thankfully I found a spare bobby-pin in Kallie's cup holder, and that would do the trick.

"So, are you going to take the cards' advice?" Kallie asked, looking away from the road for a second to peek at me.

Forgive and learn to trust again.

I thought about it for a moment before responding.

Could I forgive Jackson?

After being angry for years, I really was tired.

Then again, my anger is what fueled me.

"I don't know, Kal. He hurt me pretty bad," I said, rubbing my temples.

"When are you going to tell me?" Kallie asked, her tone almost pleading.

"Soon," I promised her — and myself.

"I love you, and I would never judge you, but dammit B. I'm tired of seeing you as one big ball of stress and anger," she huffed, gripping the steering wheel tighter.

"You know I'm not one to be pushy, but if what he did was really that bad, you need to tell someone. If anything, it'll make you feel better. Even if you don't tell me, maybe talk to your mom? Maybe she'll change her mind about letting him stay with you guys."

I scoffed. "Oh, so I can be the reason he's on the streets? Not only would he hate me more than he already does, Elliott would hate me too."

I couldn't care less if Jackson hated me, but I honestly couldn't think of another excuse.

Kallie parked a couple houses down from mine, turning to me with her eyebrows raised.

"You wouldn't be the reason he's on the streets — his parents would be. And has he told you he hates you? Or are you telling yourself that to make you feel better for holding this grudge?"

"Okay Dr. Anders, I didn't ask for an interrogation. And no, he hasn't actually said it; he hasn't said anything. But what he did isn't something you would do to someone you like," I frowned, dreadfully looking over to my house — my prison.

"Well, it was just a thought," Kallie said, clicking her tongue. "You should probably get in there before El loses your mom's attention. I'm always here when you're ready to talk."

"I know. Thanks for getting me away for a little while. Love you," I smiled, opening the passenger door.

"Anytime," she winked. "Love you!"

My anxiety rose higher with every step closer to the house.

Jackson was in there right now, probably thinking of ways to make me miserable.