21

"¡Oye! ¿qué sucede contigo?"

Jackson glared at me as I backed away with the whiskey bottle he was about to put to his lips in my hand.

"He's lost it," Sam said, pulling the bottle from my grasp and taking a swig before looking at it. "Dammit Jackson, this shit wasn't cheap!"

Jackson lazily looked over to Sam and let out a small chuckle.

"We have school tomorrow," I crossed my arms and looked down at Jackson. "You're being an idiot."

His eyes flicked up to my face and he started laughing harder, putting a hand to his forehead. "I'm gettin' déjà vu."

"Did he say why?" Kallie turned to Sam, gesturing to the bottle in his hand.

"He's mostly been speaking Spanish. I know a little, but I couldn't keep up — brain's workin' a little slow at the moment," he threw Kallie a sloppy smile, pointing to his head.

"Well you're no help then, are you?" Kallie narrowed her eyes at him, putting a hand on her hip.

"Hey now," Sam pointed at her with a smirk. "I was able to catch some of it, but it didn't make much sense."

Jackson barked out a laugh. "Nothing makes fuckin' sense."

You got that right.

Noah cleared his throat, catching my attention. He was holding a new blunt up in the air, nodding at me.

I stepped closer to him to take it, smiling gratefully. I needed something to evict the anxiety that had made my chest its new home.

"Don't give her that shit," Jackson slurred below me, but I ignored him and snagged it from Noah's long digits.

"She smoked with us last time?" Noah gave him an inquiring look.

"Which was a mistake!" Jackson angrily threw his hands out in front of him. "She...she — she's good."

I'm good? Good at what?

I moved back to sit on the floor next to Kallie, who was sitting a couple feet from Sam's chair now.

Jesse cleared her throat, so I turned to her laying back in the beanbag furthest from Jackson. She cupped her hands around her mouth and mouthed, protective mode.

I glared at her as I put the blunt to my lips, and she started giggling.

Now is not the time.

"So what were you able to catch?" Kallie asked Sam, so I gladly turned away from Jesse and looked at him.

"Uh, just random words. Blood, family, a bunch of curses, good, dangerous. Um, I think I heard...witch? But I could've heard wrong. Oh, and white people," he laughed, and I snorted before taking another pull from the blunt.