With that said she cut the call. She put her hand on her belly. "Don't worry, you are not like me. You are your father's Princess. He will never abandon you like mine did." Christopher felt enraged. How dare he leave a defenseless child alone like that? As if his experiences weren't bad enough, she had to go through it too.

Now he understood why sometimes she turns defensive like that. He doesn't blame her. It is natural human instinct to try and protect something you think can be your only salvation. Like the child for example. he knocked at the door and tried not to startled her. "Are you alright?" He asked. "Yes, I am fine." She said. And he knew she was lying. He settled down beside her. "You shouldn't have left. You have given that man satisfaction of doing that to you."

She got up and started to look through her closet to wear something comfortable then her itchy dress. "What do you suggest keep listening to his insults?" She asked raising her voice a little. "Well no, but if you had stayed little pixie you could have seen when we both corner him. After all he cannot insult our partner can he." She didn't look at him. 

So, he pulled her towards him. "SO, you didn't make the deal?" She asked. "Are you kidding me? How could I? no one insults my other half and get to share a piece of my kingdom. It is just for my princess and for my queen."

"You should have taken the deal. He is influential, he can destroy you in seconds, I know he did tried that with me" She mumbled the last part but he still heard it anyway. He held her cheeks in his hand. "Tell me little Pixie, do you know that man?" he asked. She looked into his eyes. He looked genuinely concerned.

"That doesn't matters, what I know is he doesn't likes when someone turns him down. You better watch your back from now on." She said. "Tell me Pia what is that you are so afraid about?" he asked Pia. "Something. He did tried to sabotage my paper before. He can use that again. Taking your research and claiming it for himself." She said not looking at him. 

"Pia I do not care if he tries. If he does that we will procced with your research paper instead" He said. "Just don't go running off like that. Ok? You could have gotten hurt and our baby girl could have gotten hurt as well."

He placed a kiss on her forehead. "Now, that we are here, shall I cook you something? I know you are starving because you haven't eaten anything in a while. Are you carving something special?" He asked. 

"Pickles but not what we have here. Indian kind, something you would not find in grocery stores so easily. Most Indian families have their own recipe and they always had a unique taste to them." She said looking at him. "Oh, but then madam, it is only difficult but not impossible to find." He said.

And then they were at street driving towards every grocery store that had sold Indian Groceries. "It is alright Roy. It wasn't something I need utmost and immediately." Christopher looked at her and said 

"First it is your very bad habit that you don't really demand anything. Second, you first time wanted to have something and there is no way I am failing into this task. Because one thing I never did was to fail." She shied. "Alright. Do as you wish, but don't be disappointed if you don't find that what I am looking for." "Again, you have so little faith in me Mrs. Woodland." Christopher said driving towards the next stop.

"This is the last stop. And if we didn't find it here, we are going home. It is getting late." Pia said. "Alright. Last stop. Stay in the car ok Darling?" Pia nodded. Christopher walked in to the grocery store. "Yes, young man what can I get you today?" The man asked. "Do you have any pickles?" He asked. 

"why we have a selection, come and take a look and see what you need" He followed the man. And he saw the usual pickles like in every grocery store thus found so far. He made a face, can he not just fulfil her one wish? Pathetic... he is simply pathetic.

"You look disappointed son, are these are not up to your liking?" The old man asked. "It is not that I was searching for something special and well my wife she is an Indian. I was hoping to find something of her liking in here." The old man smiles. 

"Let me guess she wants something sweet and sour, the usual carvings. I might have something. My wife made few for our own house and yes, my grandkids loves them. Wait and let me see what I can find." Christopher smiled. "That would be so kind sir thank you" Christopher said.

The man walked in towards what he thinks was storage room. "Son, will you help a little. I am sorry, I don't have my wife to help today, she is taking care of our daughter in law. She seems to came down with something. As she recently given birth, we don't know exactly what." Christopher nodded. 

"It will be no problem sir." He said politely. The things he does for love. He helped the man taking the glass bowls down. "So which one do you need?" He asked. "I think all three. And if you don't really mind can I take a look at your daughter -in- law? I am a doctor."

"That will be kind of you Son." The old man replied. He followed the old man through the back of the shop into the house. "It makes the things easier to manage this way" the old man explained. The old man talked to his wife in hushed tone. "Come here Son, she is inside." Christopher nodded and got in. He checked her up. The old couple was looking at him intently.

"well?" the old man asked. "Nothing serious just a normal flu. I have written down some medicines and twice in a day for three days. However, you might want to take her to the hospital for some blood work done." The old man nodded. 

"Here, my card, ask for me at the reception desk at the woodland and come and see me tomorrow. Now I shall go I left my wife alone and she tends to be angry." Both of them smile. "here, I had made this for my daughter in law because she seems to love lemons. I am sure your wife will love them too. Take care." The old couple said goodbye to him.

He walked back to his car and saw she was looking at him. "Five minutes? It was like you have gone for sixty." "More like thirty but time flies when you are engaged in something productive Darling." Christopher said. 

"Was these what are you looking for?" He asked handing her the jars carefully placed by the old couple in the paper bag. She looked at them and inspected the contents. She jumped into his arms, "Did I told you Roy how much I love you for being this much attentive towards me?" He smiled.

Now that was a sentence that satisfied him to an unimaginable length. "thank you, but really it was nothing." Christopher said. "I got to meet a kind old Indian couple and she placed that jar specially for you said her daughter in law loved that." He said pointing to the jar of lemons. "I have to thank them" She said. "Tomorrow they would be coming down to the hospital you can thank them there" He said driving the car away.

Next morning they headed to the hospital together in spite of his protests. "Look don't take too much stress ok Darling I..." he looked ahead there was a crowd in reception area. "What's going on here?" Christopher asked. And everyone turned silent. "Well... I am waiting" Christopher said. Sometimes she still doesn't gets it why everyone is still deathly afraid of him? He isn't seems to be a bad person at all.

"Sir, they were telling us they had your recommendation and..." "And you thought they were lying? Even if they were it is a hospital we don't work on recommendation. It is our sole responsibility to treat the needy, who cannot do that themselves." Then he turned his attention to the couple who were holding a girl around Pia's age and she was holding a little baby in her arms. She looked frailer.

"Wheel chair anyone" Christopher shouted. And a man came with wheel chair. "Now, I don't need to told you twice. She is my patient and I want nothing but the best do you all understand? And I do not want you to treat any of the patients like the way you did. You are here to cure them" 

Something in Pia likes this new Christopher or perhaps she had misunderstood him and he was always this good at heart. "Come on Darling, don't you wish to say thank you these nice people for the gifts?" Pia nodded and walked inside following him. 

Word Count: 2323 Words