Ep. 1 Pt. 5: Roadtrip

Start from the beginning

"Wait, what?"

"Nan's in trouble," Ryan said, equally worried. "Sorry, Yaz, love to chat, but –"

"I'll drive you," she interrupted. She held up her keys. "Police car. Come on."

*

"So there was an alien sighting on the edge of the city a month ago in a complaint sent in by... a bus driver?" Ryan repeated.

"The caller decided to go nameless, but the police who responded to the call did find some sort of figures who they assumed were a gang of thugs and performed open fire on," Yaz supplied.

The Doctor remained silent, looking at the laptop screen.

Yaz was unnerved by her. She sat quiet and pensive in the passenger seat – a location she had only earned by the necessity of a dashboard to secure the laptop upon.

They were going full speed and would reach the railway station in a couple dozen minutes. Nothing like a police car to deflect traffic.

"We would know if something happened, right?" Ryan said once again. "We would definitely know?"

"Yes!" The Doctor said, having assured him of this already. Twelve times so far.

"It has to be Graham he's after," Ryan whispered to himself.

"Graham?" Yaz remembered that name from somewhere. Why did she remember it?

Oh.

"Graham O'Brien is just the kind of guy," he continued. "He would be exactly the type to hail down violence on alien visitors and get them all riled up enough to destroy the planet! I don't even blame them..."

"You're really sour about him," the Doctor quipped.

Yaz stared at her. Was she crazy?

Ryan looked up unpleasantly. "Yeah. I am. So?"

"You didn't even mention him earlier. You just said we had to save your Nan. It's only now that I gather your Nan is being accompanied by a second member of the family whom you didn't tell me about!"

Ryan gritted his teeth. "Graham. Is. Not. My. Family."

Incredibly, the Doctor swivelled in her seat to jeer at him. Yaz could have done something if her hands weren't on the wheel –

"Oh, wow. I'm detecting a lot of frustration about this man who apparently brought the wrath of an alien warrior upon us all. Yet I didn't even know about him until this point! Care to enlighten the rest of the class about the vices of this not-your-family character?"

Yaz almost took a wrong turn. She swerved the car in haste, pushing the rest of the crew to the side violently – the laptop leapt to crash into the gear stick before the Doctor caught it.

Yasmin screamed above the honk of a passing car. Her nerves were throbbing. The nerve of that guy, to honk at a police car!

But that wasn't what had made her lose control.

"IS THE LAPTOP WORKING?" Ryan shouted. "DOCTOR! IF SOMETHING HAPPENS–"