Prologue

It wasn't supposed to be like this...

The sky was an orange-yellow setting, with light purple clouds occupying the space as the night slowly approached the city of Musutafu. But Toshinori couldn't tell. His view was blocked by the building walls of white, covering every corner, not a window in sight. He was trapped. Trapped in his own terrifying, repeating thoughts.

He was sitting on a chair, hunched over with his two long, blonde bangs hanging over his face. In the back of his mind, he knew sitting like this for so long was not good for his old injury. He could even feel the throbbing pain from it. But he didn't care. His mind wasn't in the room anyway.

How could you let it happen like this?

His eyes were closed shut, with eye bags being heavier than what they usually were. His hands were balled into fists, clenching against his lap. He could feel them shaking. His whole body was shaking. His mind was not in the room; it was back to the place. He didn't want to be there. To go back there, but he had no control.

He could see it all. The pain in his eyes. How scared he sounded. The blood.

Toshinori finally opened his eyes again, looking down at his arms. They were clean, but he could still feel the blood. He could still see it pouring out. Too much blood. Too much for him.

You were supposed to protect him...

He finally brought himself to sit up from his seat, grunting at the pain that came from his left side, which subsided quickly unlike last time. He leaned back on the chair, looking up at the white, bright ceiling. Despite the small chatter and other noises in the room, he could hear how quiet the room was, only hearing the heart monitor beeping. It didn't sound right. The beeps didn't have a regular pattern to them, which made his heart turn.

You really are pathetic, aren't you?

He let out a big sigh before finally looking away from the ceiling to face him. His student. His successor. His boy. That he failed to protect.

Midoriya was lying on the hospital bed that Toshinori was sitting next to, with tubes sitting out of his arms and an oxygen mask over his mouth and nose. He was so pale, barely a colour on his face, which made his small freckles more visible. His breathing was shallow, clearly struggling to take in air despite the oxygen mask present. He was unconscious, so his entire body was limp, with no movement whatsoever.

He's still young, and yet...

You didn't even try...

With some hesitation, Toshinori reached out towards Midoriya and placed his hand through his messy, green hair that had some dry blood on its edges. He ruffled his hair slightly; Midoriya didn't move an inch. He was out cold. The usual smile he would give was not present. It wasn't there when he was on the ground. Scared. Shaking. Crying. Begging him...

Please... A-All Might... I-I... I don't... d-don't want... to die!

Toshinori shut his eyes again. He felt his body tensing up from it. He didn't want to be reminded about that. Not now and not ever.

Why... do you have to be so useless?

Toshinori sighed, removing his hand from Midoriya's head. He looked down onto his white baggy shirt. It was a different shirt from yesterday, but he could still feel Midoriya tugging it desperately. He brought his hand up and grabbed onto the collar of his shirt where it was tugged. The same way he did, as he cried out in pain.

All... Might... I'm sorry...

"Midoriya..." He whispered, only now realising how cracked his voice was. It could have been due to the amount of shouting he did yesterday, or the amount of emotion that was building up in him over the course of a day to now. He leaned back on the chair and closed his eyes.

"I'm so sorry..."