A Thought Worth Thinking

A week ago...

Toshinori couldn't remember the last time he felt this much rage and frustration, having the urge to punch a wall due to it. He should have expected that, though. All for One had always had that impact on him.

His talk with the maniacal villain at the prison of Tartarus went about as he thought it would – he asked some questions, the villain gave vague answers while also trying to get into his head with his words, which nearly got him, but he shook them off. In the end, he said what he wanted to say and left. Still, the anger was still with him as he sat in Tsukauchi's car, who agreed to be his ride afterwards. All for One could always get in his nerve and he hated that he knew how, pushing the right buttons.

He didn't talk much once he entered the car, just looking straight as the car drove across the bridge, the only path to the secure prison. He should feel better, knowing that his long-time nemesis was finally locked up for good, but knowing that Shigaraki and the League of Villains were still out there didn't help ease the stress in him.

He gave a sigh, trying to calm himself, when suddenly, he felt a vibration in the back of his baggy hero costume.

"Excuse me." He said before reaching behind him to grab his phone. He unlocked it, seeing a message notification and pressed it. The moment he did, all traces of rage and stress completely melted away and a wave of proudness swelled over him.

"Young Midoriya!" On his phone, an image of Midoriya's newly required provisional hero licence was presented proudly. 'Thanks to you, I took my first step forward!' was the text accompanying the image.

Toshinori smiled heartfeltly at the message. Knowing how hard Midoriya had worked in order to gain the licence, despite all the hardship he went through, he couldn't have been prouder of his student.

"What are you smiling about, Toshinori?" Toshinori was startled a bit from the voice as he turned around, seeing Tsukauchi looking at him curiously.

"Oh, it's just... Young Midoriya got his provisional hero licence." He showed his friend his phone with the image and text, a smile still presented on his face.

"Oh wow! That's great news." Tsukauchi congratulated before looking back straight. "I heard getting those are pretty tough."

"Indeed. I remember getting mine. They're not easy, but he managed to get his." He could only imagine how happy Midoriya was when he received it.

"He probably cried when he got it." He chuckled to himself, thinking about his possible reaction. "I really need to get him off that habit." If he did so, he allowed it. He deserved it after all, working hard as he did to achieve it.

"You really like that boy, huh?" Toshinori was once again brought out of his thought hearing Tsukauchi's voice again. It took him a bit for him to register what his friend had said to him.

"Well, yeah. He is my student after all." He answered like it was obvious, but Tsukauchi chuckled like that wasn't the answer.

"That's not what I meant." Toshinori raised his eyebrow before his friend continued, smiling. "I've known you for a long time, Toshinori. And honestly, you rarely have a true smile in your true form with others. But... every time you're with Midoriya, you genuinely smile as if you were in your hero form. If I didn't know better, I think you see him as more than just your student."

Toshinori had such a dumbfounded expression on his face that when he caught a glance at it, Tsukauchi couldn't help but laugh.

"Really made you think, huh?" He said once he calmed down.