What was I thinking?

"I need to get out of here," I said.

"Don't we all," the boy said jokingly. "Here, I'll just pull out the key and unlock the gates. Easy peasy."

I glared at him.

"This is serious," I growled. "Lives are at stake, you selfish little-"

"Calm down, I'll help you."

My eyes locked with the kitchen boy and I saw determination written on his features. He lifted his arm, his hand reaching towards me. I grabbed it and together we nodded, an unspoken truce forming between the two of us. His grasp on my hand tightened and he pulled me close to the bars. My eyes widened as his face was brought inches from mine. 

"My name's Laurence. You'll make sure people will remember me, right?" He whispered. My brows furrowed and I brought his hand to my chest.

"Laurence, you're not going to die," I said, reassuringly planting a soft kiss on his knuckles. "You've survived this long, you're not dying now."

Laurence gave me a smile that made it seem like he knew something I didn't. 

"Just follow my lead, okay? And when the moment comes and you can run, you run, you understand? Even if it's without me, okay?" Laurence said. I shook my head.

"I'm not leaving without you, are you kidding me?" I asked incredulously.

"Yes, you will." He began. 

"No!" I shouted. "Your life is just as precious as mine is!"

Laurence stared at me, surprised. Then, he cracked a smile, his cheeks becoming red with warmth. 

"You've become so brave," Laurence whispered and rested his forehead against the bars. "You were so fragile when I first met you, I've worried about you since. I guess I had no reason to be."

"When you first met me?" I asked. "I was stuffing my face with cake, what on earth are you..."

It was then when I stared into his blue eyes, his blonde hair covered with dirt falling over them did I realize that it was more than just familiarity. 

"You're the boy from the bakery," I said as realization dawned on me. "The one I met in the alley. You held me when I was crying." 

"Funny how fate works like this, huh?" Laurence chuckled. The hand of his that I wasn't holding landed on my cheek. 

"Will you do something for me?" he whispered. I nodded. 

Laurence put his head between the bars and pulled my face towards his. His lips had planted themselves onto my forehead. He kissed me lingeringly and for reasons I couldn't explain, my eyes fluttered to a close, and I smiled. 

I pulled away and my eyes opened only for me to flinch. 

On the other side of the bars was no longer that blonde, blue-eyed boy I met years ago. It was a dark-haired short green dwarf. [ Read A/n at the end if ur confused loll ]

"Merlin?"

Merlin had a smile on his lips that filled me with overwhelming happiness.

"Let's get you out of here, yeah?" He asked with a softness I've found myself getting used to. I nodded and he pulled out a key from his pocket and unlocked his door before coming to mine.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about-" I began but Merlin reached up, bring his pointer finger to my lips and silencing me.

"I already knew," He said. "And I just want you to know that I-"