Chapter 2- Jacked Cabs & Conversations

🎶When my time comes around, lay me gently in the cold dark earth🎶

I jumped up with a start and quickly moaned at the pain in my neck. I looked around confused for my glasses before finding them on the floor next to my phone which was still ringing. I quickly cleared my throat and answered in the most professional voice possible, considering I just woke up.

"Hi, River Maddox speaking"

"Ms. Maddox, hi, this is Lucy from work."

"Hi Lucy, how can I be of assistance to you today"

"I'm so sorry to do this to you on your day off but we've had some slight issues with the edit of the new novel and we wondered if you could fix it please?"

I inwardly groaned. One thing I hated was lazy people and people who make far to many mistakes. This was the third time this week that someone sent me edits with "slight issues" and asked if I could fix them. I swallowed my anger and with a calm and sickly sweet voice, I responded.

"Of course, it's no problem at all. Send it right to my email."

"Thank you so much, you are such a life saver, I can't tell you how much I-"

"It's no problem, really. I'm here to help." I hated long pointless responses.

"Oh, ok. Well I'll let you do just that."

"Ok, Bye now."

I hung up before she had any chance to respond. I groaned and screamed into the pillow next to me. I got up and stretched and realized that I fell asleep on the couch. Suddenly, my stomach growled. I should probably eat before I do anything else. I walked over to my kitchen and opened my fridge only to realize that my leftover pasta was all the food that I had left. I groaned at the thought of leaving my flat. I started walked to my room when I heard voices talking through the wall. I shrugged it off and grabbed some clothes before I hoped in the shower. I heard sirens outside my bathroom window.

 I hope nothing bad happened.

I was just about ready to leave before I realized I needed to tend to the bird's nest on my head. I quickly wet and conditioned it and tied it into a nice mini afro on top of my head. Happy with my work, I walked out and grabbed my phone on the counter,

"DAMN MY LEG, sorry..." I heard a man through the wall scream.

Man, I need thicker walls.

I shook my head and grabbed my wallet and phone and shoved them in my coat pockets. I walked and grabbed my flats before grabbing my keys and walking out the door. I was on the corner hailing a cab when my phone buzzed to alert me that an email had just been delivered. I rolled my eyes before I heard 

" The game, Mrs Hudson, is on." It was a man's voice, through the door of the building next to mine. 

I gave it no other thought as a cab stopped and I hopped in and closed the door. Just as I was about to give him the address, the door opened again and two men hopped into the back alongside me.

 One man was very tall with dark curly hair, wearing a long black coat and navy blue scarf tied around his neck. The second man was fairly shorter than the first with dirty blond hair, a short black coat and a silver cain. I looked incredulously at the two men but the taller one paid me no mind and gave the cabby an address.

"Brixton, Lauriston Gardens, quickly please."

The cabby obeyed the man, clearly thinking we were all together. The shorter man took notice of me and quickly apologized.