Extra: Black Wings - Kuro

Start from the beginning

Souta Shiraki took a deep breath. “What happens next?” he asked.

The second Jounin turned to him. “The Council will gather. We are currently leaderless. We need to appoint a new Kage before the other nations catch wind of the situation and decide to invade.” He paused. “Of course your son will receive a hero’s funeral. We will honor him and his name will be carved into the Memorial Stone.”

“Again,” the first Jounin added, “we are very sorry for your loss.” They nodded and left the house.

Kuro stared into nothingness. He was still trying to comprehend what was happening. Suzaku… Suzaku was dead. The brother he idolized was gone. Just like that.

“Kuro,” his father said quietly, as if only now noticing his son was there. He pulled the boy in a tight embrace. “He’s gone my boy.”

That was the moment the words sunk in. Kuro closed his eyes and sobbed.

***

The death of the Kazekage was the talk of the town. Even his classmates couldn’t stop talking about it.

Kuro avoided them. His days went by in a haze. Everyone seemed to have forgotten the Kazekage wasn’t the only one that had lost his life.

He sighed as he cleaned the cages that held the messenger birds. Helping his father after school distracted him from his grief.

“Wouldn’t you rather be out, playing with your friends, son?” Souta asked.

“I like helping you,” Kuro said quietly.

Souta sighed sadly. His youngest son had always been a loner, but since Suzaku had died, Kuro had withdrawn even more. It concerned him.

Life in Suna as precarious at the moment. No new Kage had been chosen yet and the village was ruled by the council and the Kage’s oldest son, Kankuro. But Kankuro was young. And even though he was a skilled fighter, he was only a Genin and nowhere near the level of Kage.

Suna was vulnerable. Especially after betraying their biggest ally, Konoha. How could they have let that criminal Orochimaru fool them?

Souta placed a hand on is son’s shoulder. “I’m not chasing you away, my boy. I could use the help. I just don’t want you to hide in here. You should have fun with your friends.”

“I’m fine, dad,” Kuro answered, “don’t worry about me.”

“Alright,” Souta nodded, “go get the birdfeed then.”

***

“We cannot go on like this!” Yura said firmly. He slammed his hand on the table and looked around the council room.

“Then what do you suggest, Yura?” Baki hissed through his teeth.

“We need a new Kazekage,” Yura answered, “and with all due respect, Kankuro is not fit for the position.”

“I know I’m not ready,” Kankuro said calmly.

“Then who?” Baki interrupted, “he is the oldest son of the Fourth. No one in Suna is currently up to the task…”

“We need Taryn,” Kankuro interrupted.

A silence fell across the room. Kankuro sighed. “I may be the oldest son, but Taryn is the oldest child. She became a Jounin and an early age and she served my father’s special guard.”

“She was banished on the count of treason,” one of the Jounin growled.

“You know that was not the reason!” Kankuro countered.

“Kankuro!” Baki called, “calm yourself!”

“You know we need her, sensei,” Kankuro said, “she is still loyal to Suna. She protected Gaara back in Konoha.”

“We can’t trust her,” Yura said, “It is common knowledge that she has ties with missing nin. We cannot risk the safety of Sunagakure now.”

“Kankuro does have a point though,” Ao said, “besides, she is the only one that can control the One Tail when it emerges.”

“That is something to consider,” Baki admitted unwillingly.

Yura narrowed his eyes and sighed in defeat. “We will take a vote on it.”

***

Souta looked up when the door to the tower opened. He gave a slight bow when he recognized the visitor. “Kankuro-sama.”

Kankuro nodded. “I need to send a message,” he said.

“Of course,” Souta nodded.

From the corner of the room, Kuro looked on curiously. He hadn’t yet seen a message being send.

“Where to?” Souta asked.

Kankuro took out a scroll and tolled it up in a second scroll, sealing it with wax. “Konoha,” he said, “with the upmost urgency.”

Souta nodded again and took the scrolls. “It will be done.”