Chapter 46 Complications

• Dedicated to all my fans that follow Crow's Feathers

“She used Katsuya to protect the village,” Sakura said, “and she’s been unconscious ever since. I don’t know when she’ll wake up.”
She was sitting a Tsunade’s bed with Shizune. Behind her stood Kakashi with Naruto and Taryn.

“Tsunade,” Naruto sighed, “there’s so much I want to  tell her.”
“Don’t worry,” Sakura comforted him, “I’m sure she’ll wake up soon. She’s tough. She’ll be fine.”
“She needs rest now,” Shizune said kindly, “you should leave.”
Kakashi nodded and nudged Naruto to follow him out of the tent. Taryn followed in a slower pace, glancing over her shoulder one more time. A strange feeling of unease made it’s way through her.
Naruto eyed her uncertain. The confrontation with Pain had given him a lot to think about and it had changed his opinion on her actions. She too had lost someone she loved.

“Everyone feels the pain of loss the same, but just because you understand doesn’t mean you can come to an agreement.”

“Taryn,” he muttered. She turned to him. She looked just as tired as he felt. “Why….” He paused and rephrased his question. “When you were with Akatsuki… did you know Pain?”
“No,” Taryn said, “I never met him.” There seemed to be more he wanted to say. Taryn sighed. “Walk with me,” she said.
Naruto hesitantly followed her through the ruins. All around, villagers had started to rebuild Konoha. It would take a while for the village to reach its former glory.
“Jiraya-sensei is dead,” Naruto suddenly said, “Pain killed him in Rain village.”
“I’m sorry,” Taryn said, “he was a good man. And a great shinobi.”
“Did you know him?” Naruto asked, “I mean…”
“Yeah,” Taryn said, “not well, but I knew him. I spoke with him a few times. He was one of the few people that didn’t hate me back then.”
Naruto eyed her sadly. He remembered what Jiraya had told him long ago when Sasuke had just left the village. He had said he had a reliable source that had given him information about Orochimaru. He wondered now if she was that source, but he didn’t dare bring it up. Instead he asked her something else. For reasons he wasn’t sure of himself, he felt a need to understand her. “Did you know Pain was once Jiraya-sensei’s student?” Taryn shook her head. “There were three of them actually. Nagato, Yahiko and Konan.”
“Konan,” Taryn whispered. She remembered her.
“They were orphans,” Naruto continued, “Jiraya-sensei took care of them for a while.” He paused, “Yahiko died…it’s kind of complicated, but that one Pain… Yahiko… he was one of them.” He wasn’t sure how to explain. “He wasn’t at all how I thought he would be. He said he wanted Yahiko’s dream to come true. To stop the hatred and to bring peace to the world. He said the world of ninja was build on hatred. He talked about revenge too. He said that we ninja call it justice and that justice brings on more revenge, beginning a chain of hatred. He said that’s why he created Akatsuki. To stop the hatred.”
Taryn closed her eyes and thought of Itachi.

“Because their goal is good. They want to bring peace to the world of ninja. As long as the ninja world exists, there will always be hate and violence.”

Itachi had always loved peace. It seemed Pain… no Nagato… was the same. It made her angry. The were both misled. Was that how Madara had manipulated them? How many more of them had he deceived with lies? Perhaps Akatsuki had started off as a noble organization. That had changed when Madara had become involved. She wasn’t sure about the others. She didn’t know their background. Some of them, she was sure, loved hurting others. Truth to be told, Orochimaru had started of as a kind child. Jiraya had spoken of him, they had been friends once. That didn’t change the fact that he had turned out the way he had. It didn’t erase the hurt he had caused others and enjoyed causing. And now Madara had hooked his clutches in Sasuke.

‘Hate only begets hate.’

She clenched her fist.

“Taryn?” Naruto’s hesitant voice broke her thoughts. She opened her eyes. “When you find Sasuke… what are you gong to do?”
Taryn sighed. “I don’t know,” she said honestly, “but… I’m not going to take revenge on him.”
Naruto looked at her surprised. “Even though he killed Itachi? So you have forgiven him?”