Chapter 8

It was dark, cold, and wet. Bugs crawled over the walls while mice were scattering around trying to hide. The stairs creaked and groaned as all of them walked down slowly. The only light, making it just possible to see, was a small light bulb hanging from the ceiling. Mike had carried Dustin over his shoulder the whole way down to the bottom. Clarissa led the way down, turning the dim light on. Dustin's face was tear stained from his crying earlier while his eyes were clamped shut in defeat. As the small group made it down to the bottom of the stairs, Clarissa turned on the dim lights. There was a bathroom in the corner; there was a small bed in the corner, and the thing that scared Dustin the most was the chains hanging from the walls. "We know what you're up to boy, and were going to end it." His mother spat at Dustin.

"We both know of your little 'mission', trying to get us in jail! Naughty boy, we ought to teach you a lesson!" Mike yelled tossing Dustin aside like nothing. Dustin's eyes widened as he saw the two started to head back up, he couldn't say anything. His mind wouldn't tell his mouth what to say. Help? Not an option, because no one would hear him scream or cry for help. Who knew how long he could be down there? Would anyone even miss him? Thoughts that were sour invaded his mind, making him a bit depressed. Finally as the two left, Clarissa turned around just to flip off the dim light leaving him in total darkness. Dustin curled up in a ball in a far corner of the room sniffing and trying to hold back tears.

Remembering the small necklace Derrick had given him, he pulled it out from under his shirt. "H-help," Dustin whispered to the necklace, "I give up... just take me home." No response came from the tiny beaded string. It made his hopes sink further and further down below. Dustin sighed and put it back under his shirt, and then he tried to find his way to the small cot. From the looks of things, the horrid couple seemed to have planned this out for quite a while. Finding the bed in the opposite corner of the room, he sighed and sat down on the creaking mattress. Dustin turned over so he was looking at the place the ceiling should be, but darkness made it impossible to see.

Taking a shaken breath Dustin closed his tired eyes. Hoping someone or anyone would just come help him. Those hopes were slowly fading every passing minute to every hour. Waiting and hoping was all Dustin could do for now. For hours Dustin laid in the total darkness. Not once his abusive parents came down to check on him. What did he expect from them though? Not much actually. He just hoped he could get out. Thoughts raced around his already clustered mind. What did he ever do to them? Why did everyone hate him? Will he be down there forever? Does no one even care about him?! Dustin hated the way everything played out now. He was just a toy, stuck in a box. Waiting there with a smile plastered on his face till someone came to play with him. Once they got bored, they would just throw him away like he was nothing. Dustin sat up on the small cot and thought why not get himself out.

Slowly he got up and put his hand on the wall, slowly making his way around the room. His hands slid against the rough and unclean walls, making Dustin's hands hurt a bit. Finally his hand found the railing to the stairs; his fingers wrapped themselves around the wooden pole leading upwards. Dustin took his right foot and started feeling around for the first step of the stairs. Finally his foot bumped against a wooden stair. Looking up as if to imagine the stairs he slowly starts to make his way up. Step by step, stair by stair, slowly going up one bit at a time. One hand stayed on the rail while the other was in front, searching for the doors leading out of there. The darkness stared to fade a little but not much. Dustin's hopes soared when he felt the rough wooden doors.

He removed his hand from the door and searched for the light switch. He found it, flicked it on, but the light bulb somehow died or wouldn't work. Just great, looks like he has to work in the dark. Dustin sighed dramatically. He always wanted to be an undercover agent when he was older but now... Now he knew what it was like if he got caught. Shaking his head he put both of his hands on the doors giving it a hard push. The doors shook and their hinges creaked but the giant doors didn't open. Dustin tried it again, still no getting the doors to budge. Again and again he tried, pushing and pounding on the doors. The stairs moaned and groaned warning Dustin he should stop. That didn't stop him though; he kept pounding and pounding till his hands were sore. Dustin could feel the many splinters cuts sting; his hands were probably red, maybe even a bit bloody too. After a while of pounding he stopped.

At first he saw nothing and his hopes started to fade. Dustin looked at the doors but noticing that one of the small metal hinges was missing. His hopes came back but not for long. Footsteps were heard coming closer to the door. Dustin sprinted down the stairs wasting no time jumping on the bed and pretending to be asleep. The doors screamed in protest and refused to open as the person tried to get in.

The person from the outside seemed to bang and kick the doors forcefully. After about five minutes of silence the sound of a locked clicked and a chain moving and scraping against the wood. This person had their mind set to getting in. Dustin clenched his eyes shut waiting for it to be over. Whoever was outside for sure wanted to get in. After five minutes of silence Dustin cracked open his eyes. It was undisturbed, everything was quiet again. The doors flung open catching Dustin by surprise. Quickly turning back over and shut his eyes tightly. Dustin didn't see who it was though. Was it Mike? Or Clarissa? Or both?

The floor boards started to creak and groan again. Only one pair of boots thunking came down the stairs. Trying to act asleep hoping they would leave him alone. The stairs didn't creak or groan but the boots were heard getting closer and closer, near him. The thump of the boots stopped next to his cot, and then shuffling came. Dustin was trying to seem relaxed but it might have not worked when the strangers hand touched Dustin's shoulder. "Hey wake up," the stranger sounded no older than a teen. Dustin slowly turned over to his side and opened his eyes. He was correct; the kid looked no older than a teen kneeing beside him. "Ah you are awake." He smirked showing his perfect teeth. Dustin stared at his savior with a poker face taking in all of his features. Light brown curly hair, chocolate brown eyes, a couple freckles dotted his tan cheeks, not to mention a small scar at the top of his right eyebrow.

"Come on, let's get out of here." The teen said standing up and holding out his hand. "H-how did you find me?" Dustin had found his voice to speak. "Eh rumors tell enough of the tall tales about 'round here. Plus I am known as rule breaker." He laughed his voice smooth and cool. Dustin looked at his new friend with a smile. "Oh my name be Sir Jake." He introduced himself with a deep bow. "I'm Sir Dustin, kind sir." Dustin copied Jake's bow. They both laughed at their silly meeting, almost forgetting that they were in the basement. Together they walked up the stairs not caring if Clarissa or Mike were coming. As they both made it out Dustin took a deep breath, for the air that was in the basement was awful and foul. Hearing the door slam open, both of their heads snapped over only to see Mike and Clarissa come out as mad as bulls.

Not even needing to think for a second, the two ran off sprinting as fast as they could with Clarissa and Mike right behind them. "Run Dustin! They are on us!" Jake yelled getting the attention of some neighbors. Dustin glanced back and saw that the two monsters were gaining making him run even faster and up next to Jake. The mad couple started to get tired of running but they kept on going forward. "We just need to make it to the park!" Jake said to Dustin who was almost out of breath. Like out of nowhere a white van came around the corner and was right in front of their destination. Jake muttered something under his breath, probably swearing, at the van coming at them.

Either go head on with the van or the angry couple. "Dustin! Hop on!" The familiar voice of Liz cried. Dustin looked up in the van window to see none other than Liz and Derrick themselves. "Jake! Jake! Run to the van, they'll help us!" Dustin yelled to his friend. The car stopped a few feet away from the park."I'm taking your word, Dustin!" Jake said. Both boys ran with the last of their strength into the car. Liz slammed the door shut and away they went, leaving most of their troubles behind.