✰12. Carving Pumpkins? 🍂

Start from the beginning

"Quirin, do you think you have 2 pumpkins to spare?" The girl asked with a convincing smile, and the man chuckled.

"We have a few dozen to spare, help yourself (Y/n)!" He handed her a large orange squash and she grinned widely.

"Thank you so much, we're gonna carve them!" (Y/n) passed the vegetable to the inquisitive fellow behind her, and picked up one for herself.

"Carve? Like a roast turkey?" Quirin furrowed his eyebrows.

"No, why do you two only carve roast meat?" She looked at the pair, "We hollow them out and carve faces in them."

"Faces? Are you sure you didn't make this whole thing up?" Varian interjected as he tried not to drop the large veggie in his gloved arms.

"No! Come on, the only way you'll find out is if you do it." She thanked Quirin and started to make her way to the old stone building at the back of the village. The duo walked up a short staircase and reached a pair of looming wooden doors.

"Oh, here - allow me." Varian placed his pumpkin on the ground and rushed to the door, opening it for (Y/n) to pass through.

"Oh why thank you, you're such a gentleman." She spoke in a fake posh accent as she entered the open doorway as Varian bowed in response to her regal attitude. Once they entered the alchemist's messy lab, (Y/n) started to clear off a wooden table in the middle of the room.

"Oh be careful with that! It's de-" Varian warned (Y/n), but was interrupted by a shattering sound, "-licate." He frowned slightly.

"I'm so sorry..." The guilty lady shot an apologetic look towards him.

"Don't worry about it, I'm sure I can get another one of those..." Varian rubbed his neck, "Hopefully." He got onto the floor and helped (Y/n) pick up the shards of broken glass and put them away into a metal pot; then they finished clearing the table (more carefully this time).

"Okay, so we need a bowl, a knife, a big spoon and some creative juice." (Y/n) grabbed one of Varian's spare aprons lying on the floor, took off her jacket and scarf, and tied it tightly around her waist.

"Hmm, bowl, knife, spoon, creative juice..." Varian pondered as he scanned his workshop, Dingo!" He exclaimed as he had an idea.

"Dingo?" (Y/n) inquired with a raised eyebrow, "isn't that a dog?"

"No, it's that game you play with all the numbers. It's what you say when you find something - I found an idea." Varian called out while rummaging through a cluttered chest.

"Do you mean 'Bingo'?" She corrected him as he stopped his searching, deep in thought.

"That's what I said." Varian shrugged and continued to hunt for something, and eventually pulled out a strange looking utensil. "Bingo..." He grinned as he strolled back over to (Y/n), who didn't quite understand what it was he was holding.

"What is that?" She looked closely at the contraption, eyebrow raised. Varian had a childish look of excitement on his face and flipped a metal switch on it, revealing a selection of unique looking tools, some of which were a knife and a spoon.

"I called it: The Gizmo-matron!" He grinned and shook the device in glee.

"Very impressive, but where's the bowl?" She took the multifunction Gizmo-matron in her hands and messed with it. Suddenly a whisk sprung out of it and whacked her in the face, and she rubbed her cheek in annoyance.

"We don't need a bowl, any mess we make this guy will have for dinner." Varian pointed to the snoring raccoon on the corner of the room - surrounded by apple cores.