33. Librarian's Privilege

Angels, demons, devils, and djinn

Prayers, nightmares, deals, and wishes

Nothing compares to a fairy

When they claim you as a friend

It includes reincarnation

Obligations forever

So beware when a fairy hugs

Their smile will chain your heart.

—Russo Minark

A monument to the age of titans, Eeffae City Library is the only building in the settlement entirely made out of blue-speckled granite repurposed from the ruins of the ocean-born giants. Hildr skirts the river's edge to where the library's wide steps descend into the water, as if built for the titans' return from myth and legend.

The original entrance, a massive set of stone doors, sits closed but unguarded. Hildr relaxes a little. She was not sure how to explain Pam's presence if Agro or some other guard was present.

She waves to Pam, and the giant orc lumbers over.

"Check if those doors will open," says Hildr.

Pam rubs her bulging belly, stirring the babies within. "Have you seen an orc litter born before?"

The orc's voice is soft, almost delicate. Absent the violence underlying the question and the mother's massive body, the voice could belong to a curious human girl. Discordant and unnerving, the mismatch makes her words more disturbing.

Hildr gulps. "I've heard what happens."

Pam hops up the steps as easy as Hildr could despite having a dozen times her bulk. Rolling her shoulders back, she leans into the doors. Pressure equal to a team of horses, but they do not budge. She growls and pushes harder, arms shaking and breath heaving.

"Easy!" says Hildr. "Don't pop your babies here. I will come in through the side-door and see about getting this open from the other side. I need to grab a lantern anyway."

Pam makes a fist. "If my babies do come out, you must fetch my brothers. Edgewick wishes for them to raise my litter as loyal warriors."

Across the Timberdrift River a kite flies on the hill covered with mansions. It is a simple diamond design and held in the hand of a child. Hildr smiles as it rises higher than the homes of the elite.

She presses her palms together. "And what do you wish for, Pam?"

"The release of my master. My sons future service is the price of Edgewick's aid."

What did this master do to earn such loyalty? And sons only? What about her daughters?

Hildr taps her chin. "It seems a waste. Your two brothers have a fine look as artistic models, but they don't have battle experience. How can they utilize the potential of your litter?"

Pam presses her knuckles against the doors. "I know well the value of my babies. Countless fools brave my visage and brutal reputation to ask their price, but they cannot be sold. My deal with Edgewick has my brothers as their teachers. They may be fools with muscles for show rather than use, but they share my blood. They will do their best to raise and serve my children's interests. My master did not teach them well to be warriors, but he taught them family values."

"Taught you too, it seems. Edgewick lied when he said you weren't a talker. I've never heard an orc string so many words together."

The giantess grunts. "My master is a great man. Edgewick is an ... acceptable one."