What was I expecting to happen when I tried to wake a member of the army?

"What's wrong?" I question, in a whisper. "You were t-"

Simon shakes his head, with a sigh. "It doesn't matter."

"Bu-"

"Iz, please drop it."

I nod, trying to read his face. His nonchalant act doesn't match up with the turmoil I can see behind his eyes.

Simon sighs, removing his grip on my wrists, but he doesn't move from his position at my hips. "Could... I know I've no right to ask this." He runs a hand through his already messed up hair. "Will you stay here... tonight, no questions asked?"

I nod. "Sure, no questions asked."

As I slip underneath the covers I can't help but thank the heavens that I didn't put on my usual nighttime attire. I decided to swap my usual fluffy clothes for more weather suitable pyjamas, considering the rise in temperature over that past few days.

Against my better judgement of protecting my heart in this situation, I move so that my cheek is resting against his exposed chest

Against my better judgement of protecting my heart in this situation, I move so that my cheek is resting against his exposed chest. Subconsciously my fingers graze over the smaller scars that you'd only notice being this close to them.

I'm not sure how long after, but eventually Simons breathing slowed as he fell into a deep slumber. I don't allow my eyes to close until a few minutes later, when I can be sure that this time, his sleep remains peaceful.

**✿❀ ❀✿**

"See this is why I told you not to leave so early." I hear Hayden complain, as I'm walking into the kitchen the next morning.

Abi huffs, with a roll of the eyes. "Do you ever shut up?"

"Why did you tell her not to leave so early?" I ask, raising my eyebrow and taking a sip of the coffee I just poured.

"Because I know from experience that Simon is never on time, and I guessed since you put up with it all those years ago, you must be the same."

"And I reminded him that you were working until four last night so he should give you a break." Abi crosses her arms and throws Hayden a pointed look.

Hayden smirks. "I could've been up until four, working just as hard and I still would've been up for my morning run."

I glance at Abi to see if she caught the innuendo, which she clearly did after spending so long with Hayden. Simon walks into the room before Abi responds, so she directs her attention towards him. "Not that I'm complaining about you being back or anything, but did you seriously have to bring your lap dog with you?"

Simon laughs, leaning against the counter beside me. "What did he do this time?"

"Nothing." Hayden grumbles. "Which is the problem isn't it, babes?"

Abi huffs. "Are you guys ready? The quicker we go the quicker I can drop Hayden here, off at the bus station."

We arrive at the beach around eleven, and even though it's pretty early, the beach is already pretty busy.

"Beach bar cocktails, my favourite." Abi moans, after taking a sip the cocktail.

I laugh, shaking my head. "It's not even eleven, Abs."

"Which is exactly why I drove here."

"Why?" Simon puts my thoughts into words.

"Because it means I'm driving back." Harrison says before motioning towards his water. When Simon raises a questioning eyebrow in his direction, he grumbles. "I lost the stupid bet."

I shake my head, while setting on towel down. "You guys are crazy." I grab the hem of my oversized T-shirt and pull it over my head. I opted on a black strapless bikini, leaving my straight hair flowing down my back.

"Well you didn't come to play." Abi whistles. "Let's go take some pics."

I nod, before following her towards the steps.

"You get in late last night?" Abi asks.

"Not later than usual, why?"

Abi shrugs with a smirk. "Simon said you were still asleep when we first got to your place, but your blinds were open. I just assumed you were too tired to close them." She pulls her phone out. "Smile!"

I do as told, moving my hand so it's gripping my sun hat. She snaps the photo before I respond. "It's not what you think." I decide on saying, knowing Abi wouldn't believe me if I lied. "There's nothing going on between us. He's just going to leave again and I'm not setting myself up for what I went through back then."

Abi moves, and shows the photo she took.

"So if he left tomorrow, and nothing happened between the two of you, you wouldn't still go through the exact same thing?"

I don't respond instead I look over at Hayden and Simon, they're playing volleyball, laughing without a care in the world. Simon woke up before me this morning and we haven't got to talk in private since, but right now you'd never guess he has an inner turmoil.

My eyes snap back to Abi, my heart rate picking up when she speaks her next words. "Hey what's that? You've got a tattoo?"