"The discovery you made was not an easy one and not one that you should go through alone. Give it a try Jasper," I reached up and brushed my hand against his cheek for him to look at me. "you never know what could happen."

He nodded his head, "Maybe I should, after all it'll give me a chance to talk about how much I resent him..." He smirked but stopped  instantly once we saw a shadow emerging from around the bend.

"You shouldn't have to hate him just so you can finally see what's good for you." I was disappointed at his failed attempt at a joke but I turned and left as fast as I could in case it was an Administrator.

_____________________________________________

JASPER'S POV:

I watched her briskly walk away and I immediately closed my door to avoid suspicion. No one understands, therapy or counseling won't change anything. I have to block out the thoughts of him so I don't lose my head, but they multiply like the worst of vermin and it always reminds me that I'm alone. There's a burning in my pride and a nervous discharge in my head at the thought of ever speaking to him about such things again but even an ounce of peace is all I want from my family. Not just him.

The one thing that's tore us apart is the one thing that I won't ever be able to forget. How does one move on from that? How can we conciliate each other? In a sick way I want to thank him for allowing me to wage wars on myself so I can come to the realization that marriage is something that I'll never be able to have happily. I can honestly understand why our relationship is over and I can go through the motions unruffled, but I don't know how not to hold the feelings close to me through every situation.

_____________________________________________

NAOMI'S POV:

It was almost midnight by the time I finished all the floors and I was extremely exhausted from the long journey that was today. After hauling the sweeper into the downstairs closet, I was able to climb the stairs to the third floor to my room. My legs ached from the paddling this morning and my knees were sore from digging into the corners of the floors to collect the accumulated dust. Tip-toeing through every step, I finally reached my door without disturbing anyone.

"Jesus." I said loudly after opening the door.

Inside waiting for me was Mr. Davis sitting at my desk.

"I'm only going to ask this once." He began sternly.

Oh no, no, no, no there's absolutely no way he caught me speaking with Jasper. No one saw us. I also did a very thorough job with my chores today and remained in my room, there was nothing I could be in trouble for now.

"Are there kites going around on this floor?" He raised a piece of paper up to get my attention.

I hesitated for a second, I was caught in a polarized dilemma. The girls on the floor meant nothing by it. There hasn't been anything devious or lewd, not from what I've seen, going around since the note game began. They've just been simple questions, but I feel as though Mr. Davis is looking for a much bigger plot.

"Yes, but it's just a stupid game." I justified.

"Enlighten me." He folded his arms over his chest.

"They're like  'Twenty Questions' combined with "Secret Santa.' You have to guess who asked the question and then answer on one side and return a question on the other." I shrugged to show it's innocence.

He raised his eyebrows as if he didn't believe me, or as if he though the game frivolous and pointless in which case he'd be right.

"Honestly, I mean take that one for example," I pointed to the note in his hand "What's it say?" I know it was a huge risk but there was no way he hasn't already read it.

"It says 'If you could have dinner with anyone, who would it be?'."

"See, entirely harmless."

"Spread the word to end it, Braxton does not permit the passing of notes." He crumbled the piece of paper and threw it in the bin. "And if I see you or anyone else continuing it, there will be severe consequences. Is that understood?"

He was still acting stubborn, he's in too lousy of a mood to actually tell me his mood towards me but good thing that's it written so plainly on his face.

"Yes sir." I nodded and glanced at my bed.

"Goodnight Naomi." He stood and pushed in my chair, quickly making his way to the door after he was sure that his point was made clear.

"Mr. Davis..." I said without actually having anything else to say, I just need to know that he's move on from the other night and that he understands how sincerely sorry I am for causing him such pain. "If you could have dinner with anyone who would it be?" I thought on the spot.

He took a deep breath and contemplated. "Deceased or alive?"

"Uh, either or." I shrugged.

"My wife." He looked down but snapped out of his own sorrow for my sake. "Goodnight sweetheart." He closed the door behind him.

Him calling me 'sweetheart' was definitely comforting but his response was enough to make me realize how triggered he was and how even the simplest of questions could involuntarily make him go through the motions of trying just to let go.