Chapter 38

MR. DAVIS'S POV: 

"Ryan," I sighed, folding my arms across my chest so I can glance at my watch. "is everything okay at home? You don't seem to use the phones that often." 

I had intended to release him today, but he still hasn't given me all the information I need. He was relieved when he went off to school this morning, I was hoping that it would make him crave release even more. But, sadly, that theory is diminishing by the minute. 

"Everything is fine." He responded spitefully. 

Assuming the seat across the table, I tried to shift my demeanor into something more approachable so he would be less resistant. 

"I can't help you if...." 

Rolling his eyes, he huffed. "'If I don't tell you what's wrong.'"

I paused, waiting for him to snap out of the condescending mindset that clouded his judgment. "If I don't understand you." I clarified. 

He looked surprised, not sure whether to believe that those words were my original intention or if I were just playing to the dialogue, something we administrators often do. 

"I don't understand you Ryan, and I mean that sincerely. I don't believe you're just an unruly kid for no reason." 

He directed his eyes to the ground, a darkness lingering behind them as if he were holding back. 

"Why do you act out so much?" 

Starteld, he opened his mouth but could not make out any words. He looked lost and helpless in this moment; his sustained conduct that exposed his absent-mindedness. Looking as if he had never actually thought of his actions, almost as if he did everything on a whim. 

"Everything at home is fine," Speaking slowly, he wiped his eyes. "honestly. My mom and dad are great with my sister while I'm here. And I don't need anyone..."

"Maybe not, but it's good to have people." I assured him. "Believe me, I know from experience. Why do you think your family is against you?"

He leaned back, allowing a lowly smirk to escape his lips. "They're not, I know they're not."

"Then why act out?"

"Um." He hesitated, naturally. 

"Ryan, I promise you that anything you say will not go outside of this room." I tried to sound as sincere as I could, making sure to speak slowly to instill that. "There is nothing I would rather see than you go home and reunite with your family.  I honestly believe you are capable of change, you just need to let me in so I can help you." 

Sighing, he reached down and began picking at his thumbnails. "I was bullied a lot, and I still am, but once I started pranking and fighting...no one messed with me." Shrugging, he tried to put on a believable facade.

Nodding, "Let me ask you something: the Ryan you were a couple of years ago, would he like who you are now?" 

Shaking his head, he responded with a low whisper. "No, no probably not." 

"You're acting as if there is no such thing as bad attention." I tried to not sound condescending. "As long as you're getting noticed, when what does it matter if it's for the right or wrong reason?" 

His smile disappeared. "That's right...And my family? Well, instead of trying to help me themselves, they just passed the buck on to someone else. Like they always do." He mumbled the end of that sentence.

"Maybe they thought you needed more help than they could give you."

He scoffed before I even finished. "Right."