Chapter 33

NAOMI'S POV:

I wonder if others could hear the sound of my heartbeat. It's rapid thumping was somehow noticeable apparent in my ears, tricking my mind into hearing its echo through the corridor as I rushed to Mr. Davis' office. It was after nine so there was a good chance he'd be in here. Although I'm nervous of what he'll have to say, there was no one else I'd be able to go to for comfort.

*Knock, knock*

I put my hand on the knob and began twisting before he even responded. His voice gave the impression that he was unaware of the situation, which gave me some hope that I'd be able to appeal to his good side before Mr. Patry fills in the details.

This seems crazy, I know. Obeying a direct order from an Administrator was the most absolute principle here, as was following the terms of the punishment and refraining from passing notes...and I had violated all three in one day. But I was once told to tell him if I had been reprimanded by any member of faculty, how could he punish me for doing so?

"Naomi, I've been waiting for you." He said from the couch, closing the red-covered book and tossing it on the table.

"I was in..."

"Mr. Patry's office, I know."

How would he know? Did Mr. Patry text or make a call during the three minutes it took me to get here? I involuntarily noticed everyone who witnessed me being forced to Mr. Patry's office, but Mr. Davis was nowhere in sight.

"T-then you know I was..."

"Spanked? Yes, it's written all over your face." He stood this time, folding his arms over his chest and waiting for a response.

Up until now, I hadn't considered that a confrontation regarding my encounter with Mr. Patry would make me feel so childish. A wave of humiliation had invaded my mind as I heard him so blatantly summarize what happened.

"How?" I wiped my eyes, taking a step toward the center of the room.

Mr. Davis wiped his hands against his pants, hiding his smirk as he looked down. "You're grounded but you weren't in your room; Mr. Patry is on duty tonight but wasn't anywhere in the halls..."

I rolled my eyes at his observation.

"And his door was shut. It wasn't hard to figure out."

"Why did he have to punish you?"

Have to? Oh, that is just condescending.

"Talk to me Naomi." He came forward and wiped my tears away with his thumbs.

"Well...that's kind of a long story." I buried my chin against my chest, picking at my finger nails to give me some wholeness in the situation.

*Knock, knock, knock* The knocker did not hesitate to open the door, which clearly meant that it was Mr. Patry.

"Howard, I need to..." He stopped immediately when he noticed he interrupted our conversation. "Naomi? What are you doing here?"

I glanced at him over my shoulder, but kept my body turned in the opposite direction. The tension was simmering in the room as my bottom somehow felt more on fire with him being near.

"He asked you a question Naomi, have the respect to look at him when he's speaking to you." Mr. Davis motioned for me to turn around.

I took a deep breath and straightened myself, my sobs were reduced to sniffles, but there were a few tears still leaking out, not wanting to give him any indication that his punishment resonated with me.

"I wanted to see Mr. Davis."

"I sent you to your room after I concluded your punishment." He responded bitterly.