I didn't look up to see if Draco glanced my way as he passed by my spot at the table. If he did, all he would see would be the side of my face as I pretended to be in deep conversation with Cade. I observed out of the corner of my eye as they seated themselves not far from us, Draco on the opposite side of the table from me. I'm sure that was on purpose.

"Where do you reckon he's been eating?" Evelyn whispered.

"He's got Crabbe delivering food to his room, no doubt," Dimitri replied.

"But why is he here now-"

I snapped out of my fog and focused my attention on Cade again. He had kept talking, unaware that I had been distracted.

"-During the game against Hufflepuff, they totally thought they had us beat. But I was privy to their strategy, you see, and knew they used bludger-heavy tactics to take out the chasers."

"Is that so?" I asked, my eyes flicking to Draco every now and then. He rested his elbows on the table, taking cool sips from his water. He looked exhausted, I observed sadly, noticing the way his posture sagged. I blinked, and the next time I took a glance at him, he was looking back at me.

"Anyway," Cade said. I quickly looked back at the boy beside me, trying to shake the image of Draco's eyes. If I ignore it, he'll stop. "I have something I'd like to ask you."

My heart beat quicker. I glanced back at Draco. He was still looking.

"What is it?" I asked, somewhat flustered.

"Slughorn's Christmas party is right before the term ends. December 20th," Cade informed me. "And he said we ought to bring dates. I was wondering if you would come with me."

Cade's confident words were betrayed by the nervousness with which he spoke. I wrung my napkin in my hands, feeling something like pity for him. I thought I had made it clear I wasn't interested in him after Adrian's party, but here he was again, asking me to another party. I became conscious of the fact that almost everyone in our general vicinity at the table was listening for my reply. I could still see Draco's face out of the corner of my eye. No doubt he was listening, too. Saying no to Cade would be like saying yes to Draco.

"A-alright," I muttered. "I suppose I can, if you've got no one else to ask."

Cade reacted as if I had said a whole-hearted yes. "Fantastic," he grinned. "That's... fantastic. Thank you. I'm wearing something green, by the way, so if you wanted to coordinate- but lots of colors go well with green, I suppose..."

I nodded as Cade continued blabbering. Sipping from my goblet, I realized that if I did want to give off the impression that I was not secretly canoodling with Draco, accepting Cade's invitation was the best thing I could have possibly done. I reassured myself of that fact, despite the lingering feeling of guilt telling me that I was somehow betraying Draco.

I never agreed to be Draco's girlfriend. So even if he overheard my acceptance, he has no right to be upset-

"Erica."

The familiar voice came from behind me. I set down my goblet and turned around somewhat alarmed, spotting Draco standing behind me. Cade ceased his blabbering and gaped at Draco like he was some kind of God. My friends and their boyfriends turned as well, ogling confusedly at the fact that Draco was addressing me.

Draco addressed me like he had never met me before. "I know you volunteer in the Medical Wing, and it seems I cut my hand." Draco presented his left hand to me, and I saw the gash that ran from the base of his thumb to his wrist, oozing blood. My mouth widened in shock.

"You need an experienced healer," Penny said to him, "I can walk you to the Medical Wing."

"It's urgent," Draco said, making a face of discomfort. He looked only at me. His eyes were pleading with me to come with him.

"O-of course," I muttered, rising to follow him out of the Great Hall. I could practically hear the entire Slytherin table whispering amongst themselves as we left. I was mortified by the attention- but if Draco was hurt, it was my duty as Madam Pomfrey's assistant to address it right away. Everyone in the castle knew that.

"Let me see it," I said to him as soon as we left the Great Hall. Draco did not obey.

"It's on my left hand," Draco said in a hushed voice, insinuating that I was aware of the significant mark he bore on his left forearm. He kept an eye on every person that passed us. "We have to go somewhere private."

Draco found an empty classroom on the first floor, so we ducked inside, unseen by anyone. "How did it happen?" I asked as soon as he closed the door.

"Crabbe got sloppy cutting an apple," Draco hissed, removing his cloak and draping it over a chair. "The oaf."

I took Draco's hand and studied the cut. It was deep and straight; and from what I remembered, Crabbe wasn't even sitting on Draco's left-

I looked up at Draco with suspicion. "Did you do this to yourself?"

He huffed. "That hardly matters. Just heal it, would you?"

I let go of his hand and backed away a step. My stomach had this nauseous, sinking feeling; like a rock dropped to the bottom of the ocean. "Did you hurt yourself to get my attention?" I whispered, not wanting to believe that he would do something so desperate.

"I did it because you agreed to go to that party with Sinclair," Draco spat. His eyes were alight with fury. But so were mine.

"I can't believe you would do something like this," my voice cracked. "You are so possessive and selfish and-"

"Love makes people do stupid things, Erica," Draco replied. His words made me pause. That was the first time he had used love in a sentence about me. Draco added in a threatening tone, "You aren't going to that party with him. You're going to heal me, because you're mine."

I hugged my arms across my chest. "I'm not healing you this time, Draco. I refuse to encourage this behavior. It's manipulative."

He didn't seem to understand the meaning of the word. Closing the gap between us with quickness, he forced his mouth onto mine. I allowed it at first, but felt wrong for doing so- and shoved him away in disgust.

"Everyone else may allow you to treat them like slaves, but you will not do so to me!" I yelled. "Is this what you want us to become? Is this what love means to you?"

Draco's lips morphed into a twisted frown. Directly into my face, he yelled, "Well it certainly doesn't mean going off with other boys who want to get you into their beds!"

I trembled from the power in his voice. His face was twisted into this horrible, cruel man that I didn't recognize.

"You're not well, Draco," I whispered, feeling tears well up in my eyes.

"So fix me!" he cried. The tremor of his voice indicated desperation; a helpless man stood before me, clutching the bleeding wound on his hand, but I saw within to the bleeding in his heart. There was a tear so deep inside of him that not even I could heal it.

I backed away, shaking my head. I was done. Completely, utterly done.

In a low voice, I said, "I can't do this anymore."

Draco's anger melted into pain; he fell to his knees, blood oozing from his hand onto the wooden floor. But I couldn't allow myself to look at him anymore. The empathy inside wanted to console him, fix up his wound, and hold him to me- but I was the reason why he was hurting.

"The best way I can help you is if I leave you alone," I sniffled. Draco was also crying, his shoulders shuddering as he knelt on the floor. "You understand, don't you. We're not meant to be together."

"I don't care," Draco said through gritted teeth. "I need you."

My back pressed against the door of the empty classroom. My hand found the doorknob, and slowly turned it.

"Goodbye, Draco," I whispered. I turned away from the increasing volume of his cries, closing the door behind me.