Onward To The Sacred Items CH 16

Start from the beginning

"I admire your deep passion for this. I will get the finer details refined by the council. Do you have any concerns?" He nodded as he wrote some notes and put them in a pile for his assistant for tomorrow. Although he was thinking of bed as it was nearly sunrise, following up on this was key.

"Why don't we have any women on the council?" She asked quietly. Zarachiel frowned.

"Why is this a concern?"

"I seem to be one of the few women in power here and humans, though I'm loath to say we have more equality. And that's saying something."

"Ah, do you wish for more power?"

"No, just where are the rest of the women?"

"Nothing is holding back more women from these positions of power. If they wanted to, any of the female angels could apply to work on the council and various other jobs, after a course and some extra training if they wanted to change jobs. Most of them are simply content with their current jobs. We would have to encourage the younger angels and next wave of graduates, and maybe hammer that encouragement hard."  He sighed. He didn't think much about it, but it had been brought up a few times.

"Does that satisfy you?" He asked. Seraphina looked a little confused, but then she came to accept his answer. " Can we get some women on this case? I'm worried the men might be a bit detached."

"The council will handle this sensitively but if you wish to choose some more women you would like to serve on this trial, feel free to do so; I'll stand behind you on this." He replied with a gentle smile.

"Thank you, sir."

"Now go get some sleep. I will deal with everything in the morning, as will my assistant. I will arrange everything; just focus on your charge for now. I don't want to see the poor soul tormented further." He showed a true, brief moment of personal compassion right before he yawned.

"Goodnight Seraphina."

"Goodnight sir."

She teleported to her charger. She tossed off her armour and curled up next to her charge while the three warriors nodded respectfully.

*

Cassia woke up with a banging head and was supremely dehydrated. She thought she was hallucinating as she noticed Seraphina lying on her bed with her, cuddling with her. She eased out of her angel's hold and replaced it with a pillow. Last night came to her quickly and she dashed to the bathroom to throw up. A gentle hand rubbed her back and held up her hair. She washed her hands and mouth.

"I've got some water for you lass and some painkillers for your headache. I'm sorry I failed you most when it matters." She whirled round to find Ali, even though she hadn't summoned him.

"No, you didn't fail me, it was a party."

"I failed you."

"No Ali." She hugged him tightly and he rubbed her back. "You take care of me so well."  "Why is Seraphina asleep on my bed?"

"She's had a long night as your guardian and the head of the guardian angel squad."

"That's her job. Sometimes she gets stuck in order to understand better and be the chain of command. Or at least that's what she tells me. She prefers it to the office work and leaves the paperwork to her assistant." He grinned.

"I'm glad you both came."

"Of course, lass. How are you handling things?"

"I'll probably have a hard-core mental breakdown later, when no one expects it." She replied sarcastically but laughed a little. He laughed too but looked deeply concerned.