The Price (Levi x Reader)

Start from the beginning

"No, (f/n), don't!" Levi insisted, trying but failing to shake you off.

The MP tilted his head. "Why would you do that?" he asked, genuinely not understanding.

"I love him!" you confessed without hesitation.

He shrugged. "Very well. I'm flexible. Ten lashes it is, then."

"(F/n), please don't do this!" Levi begged. "I can take the whipping! Save yourself!"

You simply replied, "Keep your head down and your eyes shut." You hugged him tighter, pressing your chest into his back. Then you took a deep breath, trying your best to prepare for what was coming.

However, there was no preparing for that agony. You felt each individual barb that ripped through your skin, over and over, tearing it to shreds. It was worse than anything you had ever experienced.

You screamed, probably damaging Levi's eardrums, but that was the least of his concerns. "Please stop," he whispered hoarsely. "Stop this, (f/n). Let go. Let me take it."

But you didn't. You held firm.

The pain was so immense that you didn't notice the crowd booing and shouting. Your actions had moved them enough that they no longer supported what was happening on that platform. However, despite their protests, the whip kept cracking.

After what seemed like an eternity, the tenth lash hit home. You cried out before slumping against Levi, nearly passing out from the pain.

"(F/n)? Are you alright?" he asked, worry coating his voice. "(F/n)?"

Somehow, Hanji was there, carefully lifting you away without touching the gashes on your back. She had seen you sneaking away from the barracks and had gone after you, afraid that you might do something reckless. However, once she realized your plan, she couldn't bring herself to stop you. She knew how much you cared about Levi.

"Hanji, help her! Please!" Levi begged as the MP's dragged him away.

"I will," Hanji assured him.

The touching display only fueled the crowd's anger. But you were too far gone to notice.

------------------------------------------

You spent the next few days fading in and out of consciousness. Hanji treated the wounds on your back, but there was no stopping the fact that your once-perfect skin would be marred with scars forever.

It was the middle of the night when you drifted awake, lying on your stomach, head turned to the side. Your eyes met a familiar pair of grey-blue ones, which were filled with concern as they gazed back at you.

Levi was kneeling next to your bed, gently cradling your hand in his own. His other hand brushed the hair back from your face. "You're so stupid, (f/n)," he murmured tenderly.

Despite your pain, you managed to smile softly. "You're back," you whispered blearily. "I'm so glad."

As relief flooded your body, you instantly fell back asleep. Your lips were still curved into a smile.

Levi pressed a kiss to your forehead, then took the opportunity to examine your back. He winced when he saw the gashes that tore through your once-smooth skin. He remembered how his fingers used to savor that smoothness, brushing it over and over in lazy circles. No longer.

A lump formed in his throat. You had taken the whipping. You would bear those scars forever. For him.

At last, Levi managed to tear himself away. He had been so anxious to see you that he hadn't showered before coming here. Now that he had confirmed that you were not in critical condition, he was able to take care of his own needs.