6) a bright awkward victory wiggle...

Julie. I have to admit... That girl has talent...

Like. So. Much. Talent.

It would be hard to admit that I wasn't envious of her.

Especially with that way Luke looked at her.

The way I wanted him to gaze upon me.

But seriously... he would never like me like he likes Julie.

Even if it has been two days but it's obvious. On her part too.

However, I didn't have time to dwell on it.

In twenty hours, Julie will be performing the song at her high school.

Luckily, she sings in the same pitch as myself... this has to work out.

It has to.

______________________________ •✫❁✫• _______________________________

"Luke, the melody doesn't seem right. Still seems too... rocky..." The voice critical over her own songwriting and composition. His smile seemed to travel across the room towards her.

"Is anything 'too rocky', Iz?" Playful and focused. A smile played on her lips as he spoke.

"I wanna try something..." Eyes intent on her shifting being, which wandered over to the ivory keys. "And rise through the night-" Vocals belting, cut off by herself. "Better... I need to grab Julie to sound this out." Isabelle tucked a strayed piece of long hair behind her ear. Unknowingly being looked at by the boy.

"Maybe you can do it. For now, like, because you and Julie have the same range." Words jumbled over each other. Her head shook gently.

"Are you serious, Patterson? She is so much better than me!" It wasn't a comment that delved for a quick compliment. "Which is why I'm just your songwriter, it's not like I'm going to perform up on stage with you." His face went blank.

"I was kinda hoping that you would..." Her eyes shot him a look. "Iz, you're so, so talented! And if you don't perform with us, you may never get your dream."

"I don't have a dream, Luke. The accident made sure of that..." She trailed off.

"The accident that killed you?" Puppy dog eyes set into her gaze. Her nod was slow and solemn. She hadn't opened up about how she died. There was no one to talk to. "How did it happen?"

"It was the day of your funeral. I was driving myself home because dad..." He understood, shifting closer to her. "... Um, it was raining pretty hard- so I took a detour through that winding road through the foresty area off of Packard Street... it started getting dark and the rain came down harder. The road made it hard to get a grip, it was a sharp turn. I think the driver was drunk because they just drove straight into my car, on my side at like 80 m/h..." He just stared, astounded.

"I woke up on a hospital bed, unscathed and I thought 'oh my god, the car took all the damage', but then saw my body. You guys are lucky that you woke up in a dark room other than on top of your own corpse..." Luke didn't know how to comfort her. In this kind of situation, her not crying was more scary than her crying. "You don't have to say anything, Luke. I've had twenty-five-years to be sad, it's just nice to have someone to talk to."

They sat there in a blissful silence- like always.  

______________________________ •✫❁✫• _______________________________