Chapter 6

The Read-Through

The students are getting measured for their costumes. Nini looks at one of the costumes on a rack, smiles, and looks down.

"I have dreamed about being the lead at East High since ninth grade," Nini says. "I auditioned... Well, I guess I didn't really audition... but they were doing Beauty and the Beast, and the old drama teacher asked me to be a fork. After that, I was the back of a cow in Gypsy but in my heart, I was Dainty June. And now I'm Gabriella. And Ricky isn't going to ruin that for me."

"He already ruined it for me," We see EJ sitting outside the school.

"I'm gonna turn this around with Nini," Ricky says. "With pheromones. Sometimes what you smell is more important than what you see. Last spring, she and I were at the mall and this chick like ambushed me and I was like 'yo back off' but Nini was like 'mmm what is that? Never wash that side of your neck again.'... I sprayed it all over me.

Rehearsal

The students file into the bombshell in amazement. Nini and Kourtney move to the side.

"How are you going to get through 74 rehearsals with him?" Kourtney asks.

"I won't make eye contact," Nini responded.

EJ walks over to the circle of desks. On each desk, there is a card with each character's name on it. He sees Chas is next to Troy who is Next to Gabriella. He switches the Troy and Chad cards only to turn around to a disappointed Ashlyn. He switched the cards back and sits down.

"Could everybody please take their assigned seats," Ms. Jenn announces. Carlos shows her something on his phone. "Who is Natalie Bagley and why do I care if her glands are swollen?"

"She's our stage director," Carlos said. "Guess she's not coming."

Ms. Jenn looks around. "Yoohoo, ginger boy. Can you read?"

"... Not Really..." replied Big Red.

"Well, you're reading now. Just the stage directions. Thank you excuse me."

Big Red looks at the janitor. "Do you know what that means?" The janitor shrugged and continued his work.

Everyone sits down at their designated seat. Ms. Jenn starts saying inspirational things to the kids to help them raise their spirits. Then begins to sing a rendition of "We're All in This Together" in an operatic style. Everyone looks at her, either in shock or in amazement. 

Later

"Sharpay heads for class she hears singing she opens the door to the biology lab She finds Gabriella and Taylor washing their hands..." Big Red reads. 

"Stop," Ms. Jenn cuts him off. "Don't run it all together, read the punctuation."

Big red looks at her, then starts over. "Sharpay comma heads for class period.

____

"And they are hearing the songs in their head period," says Big Red.

"And that's Act 1, lets take a break," Ms. Jenn says when he is finished. Everyone stands and talks to one another.

"If that kid's our stage manager, we'd be lucky if the curtains open," EJ tells Nini.

"Oh hey, give him a break," Nini replied. "It's his first time reading out loud since the 5th grade science fair."

"Oh no no no, Don't get me wrong I like the guy. I was just hoping we would get through Act 1 by Christmas." Nini laughs. 

"I was also hoping that we would get to sing the songs."

"Eh, I don't know. I guess Ms. Jenn just really wants us to pay attention to the lyrics."

"Well I mean yeah, but she can't sing them as well as you can." He caresses her cheek. Then her phone buzzes. 

"Oh wait," She opens her phone and laughs. 

"Who is that from," EJ asks.

"Oh, no it's nothing." She sits back down.

EJ turns around to see Ricky looking in their direction.