Chapter 1

Pov. Nini

I just got back from camp. Kourtney and I walked to my locker. She and I talked about the events of summer.

"I know who that is Nini," Kourtney said, looking at a picture of EJ, my boyfriend.

"I know. I'm about 2 seconds away from making that my lock screen," I replied.

"What does you know who have to say about this?" she asked

"I'm waiting for the right time to tell him."

Kourtney looks over my shoulder. "How do you feel about right now?"

I turn around to see Ricky behind me. He is with Big Red

"Hey," He said.

"Hi," I said awkwardly.

"What's up?" he asked

I looked at the floor, thinking of how I could tell him. He noticed something was wrong.

"What's wrong?"

Here goes nothing I guess. "Ricky... I met someone at camp."

His expression changed. "What?"

We stood there quietly.

"I can't believe this." he finally said. "You're blowing me off for some theater punk!"

"You kinda dumped me!"

"It was a break! Not a breakup!"

"Well it's a breakup now."

"Come on Ricky! You know what you did... Or what you didn't do..."

I stood there remembering the day we broke up. That day I told him that I loved him with a song. I shook my head to get out of that moment. We continued to argue for the next minute or so.

I took Kourtney's hand and walked away.

"That couldn't have gone any better, " Kourtney said with a smirk.

____

Lunch

At lunch, Kourtney and I sit down at a random table and we talk about her summer.

"So I told my mom that looking this fabulous while fighting for intersectional feminism IS my summer job," Kourtney said. I laughed.

I saw EJ and waved him over. He kissed me when he came over. He sat down next to me and I introduced him to Kourtney. She continued her summer stories. I saw Ricky walk out of the cafeteria. Then EJ's friends waved him over.

"Is he great or is he great?" I asked Kourtney.

She hesitated. "He is," She said with a smile

"What happened?"

"I just don't want him to hurt you like Ricky did."

"I'll be fine, Kourt,"

"How sure of that can you be?"

"That was different," I told her. "That was then. This is now. I'm... a whole new person now." She didn't look convinced, and honestly, I don't think I convinced myself either.

The bell rang. There was an assembly now to welcome us, new teachers, and any announcements. Kourtney and I walked to the gym together.

__________

At the assembly

"This year Seniors get to wear hats on Fridays." There are a few cheers from the crowd. "Finally, I am happy to introduce our new drama teacher. She has an announcement for you so give it up for Ms. Jenn." A few students clap.

"GO WILDCATS!" Ms. Jenn yelled. At this time she shot a shirt into the bleachers.

"When I found out that the school where the original High School Musical movies were filmed hadn't produced a production of High School Musical... The Musical, I was distraught as a theater teacher. So I see it only fitting to produce one." Someone tried to take the mic from her. "This is your student Choreographer, Carlos."

When she announced the musical, I sat up straight. Every other musical I've been in at this school, I was in the ensemble.  I'm Nini 2.0. I am auditioning for the role of Gabriella and NOTHING is going to stop me.