Chapter 11

Outside the school

EJ is sitting in his car waiting. He's holding Nini's phone.

"Hey," Ashlyn says as she gets into the car. "Thanks for waiting... You ok?"

"She told him she loved him," EJ told her.

"Who?"

"Nini... I found an archived post on her Instagram."

"Ugh... EJ you can't just go snooping on someone's phone just like a creepy stalker."

"I play to win, Ash. Have we met?" They sit there for a moment. EJ hands her the phone.

"Go to June 1st. Security code is 7-7-7-7."

Can't help dreaming of you. Guess I'm saying I don't not love you.

"... okay?"

"First of all when does he get a song?"

"Whatever It was four months ago-"

"Yeah, but it happened."

"Ancient history! Ricky and Nini are completely over. There is no Ricky." Her phone rings.

"It's him."

"Ok yeah, I spoke too soon."

"I'm gonna take this."

"What are you? Insane? Do NOT answer that phone EJ!"

In the school

Dial tone--

"Hey, this is Nini. Talk to me -me"

"Hey, Nini. It's Ricky... your... buddy... Sorry to bother you I know we don't really do voice convos. But I saw you singing that song with Ashlyn earlier. I felt we... like we kinda had a moment... I don't know maybe like a... thing... I don't know maybe a thing is still kinda moment?... Anyway... Whatever. If this voicemail is too much for you or too soon.. or just not... into it... We can just ignore this whole thing and pretend like it never happened... Poof gone... okay Bye."

In EJ's car

"You need to return this now. Nini could still be inside."

"I know."

"For the love of God, do NOT listen to that Voicemail EJ"

"I WILL--- I-I-I mean I won't. I know."

"You're gonna listen to that voicemail aren't you?"

"Why don't you believe me?"

"Forget the ride, I'll walk home." EJ watches as Ashlyn leaves the car and walks away. When she is out of view, EJ listens to the voicemail and deletes it.

Back In the school

Nini is walking around the school frantically, retracing her steps. When she gets into the auditorium, she sees Ms. Jenn and Carlos on the stage.

"Hey have either of you seen my phone?" She asks them. "It's kind of an eggshell champagne color? It has a playbill case?"

"Well, that's adorable," Carlos responds.

"Sorry, no," Ms. Jenn tells her. "But we'll keep a lookout. Just remember, no phones in rehearsal."

"I know," Nini says frantically as she walks out the door.

The next day

Everyone is in the bomb shelter. They were rehearsing "Stick to the Status Quo". Nini walks in as Gina does the routine she had come up with.

"Nini, where were you?" Ms. Jenn asks. "We've been here for an hour."

"Sorry," Nini responds. "I had to go to the office to pick up my phone because I lost it last night... wait did you say an hour?"

"Yes," Ms. Jenn says. "Gina sent you and me a text telling us that she wanted us to meet early to... did you not get it?"

"No... because I lost my phone..."

"Well you've gotta keep better track of your stuff. Being a real triple threat means acting, singing, and being organized."

"Got it."

"Well, if you had been here, you would know that Gina had pitched an amazing dance break for you two in the middle of status quo and she had Carlos work it out with her." Gina slowly walks up to the two.

"You and Carlos?" Nini says to Gina. Gina hands Nini a prop tray, smiling.

"Gina, why don't you hydrate and go over the new choreo with Nini, would you?" Ms. Jenn asks her. Nini goes to set her things down as Gina goes to get a drink of water. Ricky walks up to Nini.

"Hey..." Ricky says. "How was your night?"

"Ummm... not so hot, actually. Excuse me." Nini responds

"O-Okay..." Ricky clears his throat.

As Gina goes over the dance with Nini, it is apparent that Nini wasn't able to do it.

I've seen the movie a few hundred times. Vanessa Hudgens walks in and stands there. What I don't remember is the part when she jumps into the splits and cracks her pelvis. Nini thinks.