Poor Serpent

Prompt: "Jude takes Cardan to the human world, and he has a hard time learning how to use things"

Timeline: Post- Queen of Nothing

These two give me severe uwu's
{I'm not a furry I swear}
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   "And this is?"

   Jude giggled slightly before answering, "a toaster"

   Cardan tilted his head slightly confused and highly dazed, fearful to even touch the trinket. To the High King the electronic device looked like a death machine, one he was not intending on using.

   "But what do you do with it?" He asked, still not focused.

   His sultry gaze slid up his wife's arm as she touched the dark tip of it, pulling it down as she did. Cardan jumped back slightly from the loud noise, grabbing onto Judes hand and looking everywhere for danger.

   She laughed once more, "make toast"

   "Jude, darling.... what the hell is toast?"

With an inquisitive and slightly shocked look, she responded, "you've never had toast before? You don't need a toaster to make it, surely you've eaten in in faerie?"

   Cardan looked away and pondered on his loves words for a moment. He didn't have many fond childhood memories, and toast seemed like such a childish thing. Often maids made breakfast for him, and he would eat alone while reading Alice and Wonderland, memorizing every articulate word in the opening poem letting it fuel his young imagination. Of course, those days were long gone, but perhaps in Jude enjoyed toast it wasn't so childish. Nothing about Jude was childish.

   He looked back up at her, "Perhaps I've forgotten the taste of it?" he said, looking at the death contraption once more.

   The Queen smiled holding up a white ceramic plate. On top of the object laid two pieces of crisp toast, ready for the King to experience. But it seemed Cardan had other plans. Pushing himself back as far away from Jude as possible, he stared at the slice of bread with angry menacing eyes.

"Jude, put the plate down... and walk away" he said, putting his hands up for further emphasis.

   His wife did nothing but laugh feverishly at him taking a step towards him, "Cardan, it's a piece of bread it's not going to hurt you"

   He narrowed his eyes, "But it could hurt you, and I won't have that while I'm here".

   "It's toast... it won't hurt me".

   Cardan growled, "you could burn yourself or even worse, please put it down Jude"

   The Queen rolled her eyes but complied with his wishes, putting the plate down on the counter, just to make him stop fretting.

   He sprang forward, enclosing his arms around his wife's stomach, laying his head on her chest as if he was a child, not saying anything. Her cool fingertips brushed his deep midnight hair, comforting him even though she thought this to be hilarious.

"You understand that there's absolutely nothing wrong with toast and it's just a cooked piece of bread, right?" She spoke.

He waited a long moment before answering, "My sweet punishment, your human traditions are all wrong".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okayyy so this chapter is about 500 words shorter than I usually would post, just because I needed to publish this.

make sure to add this to your library because the next onehsot is going to be a sick Jude fic

Also, if you like the Caraval series by Stephanie Garber- check out my Collection of Caraval Oneshots on my profile (there's like 34 chapters)

>to request a fic go to the request rules chapter<