chapter fifty six

April 30th, 1998
Alora Slater POV

   Draco and I stood before the three of them in my kitchen. We had planned to sneak them into Hogwarts in only two days. Granger had come up with a plan the day I broke them out and now, it was finally being put into action. It was a reckless, terrifying, genius and insane idea, and it was probably not going to work.

It was starting today. We were moving them to Hogsmeade, into one of the inns the Death Eaters have commandeered. It sounds mad, I know, but it actually wasn't the worst idea that was thrown around. Weasley was such a moron, he suggested we just floo powder there. Obviously the networks are being constantly monitored, complete lunacy comes out of Strawberry Shortcake's mouth, I'm telling you.

   "Remind me why we're helping this band of buffoons again?" Draco asked bitterly.

   "Because it's the right thing. I know that isn't enough for you, so, by helping them we might be able to get ourselves out of this mess that our parents dragged us into."

   "I've got a bad feeling about this, Slater."

   "Call your girlfriend by her name, you knob head. Then she might actually respect you," Weasley said.

   "Oh, shove off, weasel-brain. Our relationship is none of your business. Merlin knows you can't even make a move on the Mudblood, so stop offering your sodding advice."

   "Be nice you two," I barked.

   Draco shot me a childish look before snarling at Weasley. I smacked his arm and he stepped back, not breaking his eye contact with Ron. Draco and I would leave and check in to our room in an hour, then the three of them would be taking Polyjuice potion and apparating there. We would see them in the bar and invite them up to our room before the potion wears off and then we were in the clear.

   "Get yourself ready to go, Draco. We leave in an hour."
-
   "Where exactly are you two going again?"

   "We both need a break from... things. We're spending two days at The Three Broomsticks in Hogsmeade and then heading back to school," Draco told his mother.

   "Be careful please, it isn't safe for anyone out there."

   "I know, mother. Don't you worry, Alora will keep everyone in line."

   "I promise I'll keep him safe, Narcissa."

   "I know you will, you're one of the toughest girls I know."
-
   With a crack and a nauseating twist, we landed in front of the inn. The village was a grey, barren wasteland with the odd deranged person wandering aimlessly. There was a flood of voices coming from inside. Draco grabbed my hand and sighed loudly before leading us into the crumbling inn.

   When the door opened, all eyes fell on us. I recognized some of the men, they were loyal followers to the Dark Lord. Their eyes followed us as we walked up to the shabby reception desk in the dimly lit room. Draco held my hand tighter and lead me along until we reached the man standing behind the desk.

   "Very bold of two young lovers to show their faces in here," the man said.

   "We called last week," Draco said coldly.

   "I don't have any record of that. Why don't you take your little bitch out of here, this is no place for kids like you."

   "What did you just call me?" I said, pulling my hand out of Draco's and gripping my wand in my pocket.

   "Look what we have here, you've got a fiery bitch, blondie."

   "Call me a bitch again. I dare you."

   "Someone grab this bitch and get her out of my inn," the man said lazily.

   I whipped my wand out of my pocket and held it to his throat. All of the men in the room started laughing and I felt a hand grab my arm and pull me back. I stabbed it into the handler's chest but my arm was quickly pulled in the opposite direction. My hair was in my eyes so I couldn't see who was pulling me which way, but I felt my feet being lifted off the ground.

"STOP!" I heard Draco scream.

All movement halted and I felt myself being dropped. I landed on my feet and spun around to see Draco who had his wand out.

"You fools calls yourselves loyal followers of the Dark Lord, but you don't even know who we are," He scoffed.

"Why don't you tell us then, pretty boy?"

Draco rolled his eyes the lifted his sleeve rather dramatically, revealing his Dark Mark. The man holding me immediately released his obscenely tight grasp on my waist. I raised my wand and pointed it around the room, getting all of them to back away clumsily.

"Wait, you're-"

"Draco Malfoy. Surely if you were in fact loyal you would have known that. And surely, you would know who she is. Any important person would know to never lay a finger on her."

"Alora Slater, a pleasure," I said shoving my hand forward.

"Slater, as in Bellatrix's protégé?"

"You do know who I am, perfect. Now, are you going to show us to our room, or should I get Auntie Bella down here?" I said grimly.

"Right this way."

"If you question either of us, or our guests coming later, I won't be afraid to practice my curses on you," I whispered in his ear.

The man shivered and nodded nervously as he carried my bag up the stairs. Draco wrapped his arm around my waist and guided me up the stairs, keeping me stabilized on the rickety stairs. The room was good enough, two beds and a couch. Draco and I would take one and the three could figure out who gets the floor.

"Mr. Malfoy and Miss Slater, we'll send your guests up when they arrive."

"Good. It should be shortly, hopefully you treat them better than you did the two of us," I snapped.

"I do apologize again."

"Leave."

The man nodded quickly and left hurriedly, slamming our door shut behind him. I whipped around and pulled Draco into a kiss, cupping his face in my hands. He might have saved my life tonight, I didn't think he had it in him. He stood up to a room full of drunk, dangerous and armed men who could have killed him without a second thought. Maybe I wasn't the only one who wore the pants.

"Thank you," I whispered into his chest.