Reacquaintance

Demi walked around the console once more, River's eyes following her, the Doctor pressing buttons and checking unfamiliar symbols on a screen in front of him. She'd taken everything in about 6 times now, but still couldn't wrap her mind around it. When she was about to start her 7th lap around the console, River stepped in front of her. "Please stop circling, Demetria." Demi's face flushed red with anger. "I told you before; no one calls me Demetria anymore." She hissed. "But why? It's a beautiful name!" River asked. "Because she doesn't want to remember." River and Demi looked at the Doctor, who continued to check the screen and press buttons. "What do you mean?" River asked, walking over to him. "She doesn't want to remember the night it all happened. The night she met us… The night her parents died." Demi looked away, covering her face with her hands. She heard whispering, but she couldn't make out what was being said. Then the clap, clap, clap of heeled boots walking away. Suddenly, Demi was being turned around and her hands were being pulled away from her now tear stained face. "You will need to remember, Demi." Demi looked up at the Doctor, whose face was barely inches away from her. She grasped onto his hands, the tears still rolling down her cheeks. "What if I don't want to remember?" The Doctor sighed and leaned his forehead against hers. He closed his eyes tightly. "You'll have to. Not now, but you will have to remember. If you don't…" He stopped and just stood there, holding Demi's hands and resting his forehead against hers. "If I don't?" His eyes shot open as the question left Demi's lips. His brilliant brown eyes, so full of wisdom and kindness but a loneliness too, seemed to stare deep into her soul. "If you don't, everyone on earth will die." He started to walk away, but Demi grasped onto his hand, bringing him to a stop. "Everyone? Molly? Hanna? Nancy?" The Doctor took a slow intake of breath. "Everyone." He replied quietly. Demi let his hand drop and he walked back to his place at the console. Demi walked to the seat behind him and sat down. "Why do they want me? I'm no one. I'm just Demi. I'm just a nineteen year old girl, trying to make the Olympic swimming team." The Doctor flipped a switch quickly and turned round, smiling down at her. "How is the swimming by the way?" Demi wiped her tears away as he joined her on the seat. "Good. I can hold my breath for up to five minutes now." "That's… amazing." The Doctor mused. She could feel him watching her, his eyes boring into her. "Why do you keep staring at me?" Demi asked, looking up to meet his gaze. He smiled. "Two reasons." He replied, as if these two reasons should be obvious. "And what are they, Doctor?" Demi asked. His smiled turned into a grin. "Well, the first one is you've grown up to be incredibly beautiful." Demi looked away, her cheeks getting warm. "And two?" She asked, still not daring to look at him. "And the second one is… the reason those aliens want you has developed considerably since we last met." Demi met his gaze again. "Did you say alien…"