Chapter 19: Keith

Start from the beginning

"What are you doi-"

"Nat mentioned that you needed to work... This is a good place to gather your thoughts." 

Keith says looking out to the scenery before taking the final step to her laying her guitar gently down on the chair beside her. Cass watching his gentle nature with her prized possession. Her heart warming at the tenderness. He then laid a booklet and a pencil down as well. She smiled at his thoughtfulness. Not ready to let him leave just yet, she began speaking again. 

"Is this your favorite place?"

Keith looked to her searching her eyes for something. After a moment, his eyes soften before turning back out to the mountains and a beautiful smile appears. Cass knew if she wasn't already sitting that her knees would have buckled by the sight. He was swoon worthy... Don't judge! 

"No..." He said shaking his head, he touched his fingers to the notebook before looking back to her. "Get a song done, and I'll show you my favorite place."

She huffed playfully making him chuckle. Turning in his boots, he began retreating off the porch. 

"Get to it princess!"

She felt giddy taking the materials and setting them around her. She began plucking the strings of the guitar while trying to put her thoughts in order. Her mind instantly going to her most recent 'love'. What a joke? She thought about how much she was willing to change for him... for the ones before him. Feeling done with all her past relationships, she began thinking of lyrics. Humming as she wrote them down as she began playing away. 

*********************************

"STOP"

Natalia's voice holding utter authority. The colt stopping and breathing erratically in front of her. Her hands held up as if to signal it to stop it's movements. She slowly edged closer to the frighten horse. The young colt looking petrified. She lowered her hands and decided on a different approach. 

Jax tilted his head watching as Natalia began slowly lowering her body to the ground. The young horse watching her intently. Natalia kept her eyes glued on the young beauty while sitting on the ground. She didn't say anything and continued watching the horse. It appeared to be debating something while still studying her. 

A pat on his shoulder made Jax turn to his side. The young man from yesterday standing their looking out to his girl. His eyes going back out to her. 

"She's gaining her trust."

"How?"

"Patience" Miguel says simply before looking over his shoulder. "I would be careful if I was you."

Jackson turning to his attention while Miguel subtly nods his head behind him. He looks over his shoulder to find Keith lugging hay but looking to him as well. He inhales deeply and turns his attention back exhaling slowly. 

"Any ideas how to get on Keith's good side?"

"Yep!" Miguel says a grin. Jax raises a brow looking down at him. "Stay away from Miss."

Jax rolls his eyes while Miguel just chuckles stepping away. Jackson walks a few steps resting his arms on the railing of the corral. The brown horse still standing right in front of Natalia. His beauty's dark locks blowing gently in the breeze with her back to him. His eyes stay on her watching to see what happens next. 

"What's your plans Mr. Fillmore?"

Jackson turns around finding Keith standing a few feet away taking his gloves off. Jackson stands up straight facing him. Keith steps closer to him before coming to a stop beside him. Jackson looks back out as Keith does the same. Both watching Natalia with the colt. 

"I like your sister."

"That's good... She feels the same."

Jackson didn't let it show but hearing him state that means she already said something to him. His heart fluttering at the recognition. He remained quiet for a moment not sure how to proceed. 

"I have no plans on leaving her."

"Be careful Mr. City" Keith's tone warning him to watch his words carefully. Jackson turns to look at him. Keith turns looking directly at him. "Don't make promises you won't keep."

"Good! I am a man of my word."

Keith studies him for a moment trying to conclude his sincerity. Without another word he turns back to his baby sister. A smirk makes Jax turn back to find the colt now nuzzling his head to Nat's head. Her hands gently rubbing it's short hair of her neck. After a moment, Keith taps the wood before turning and walking away. No other words being exchanged. Jackson smiles hoping that means he has earned the brother's approval. 

Natalia stands back up gently coaxing the colt to remain calm. Gently brushing her along her side. Her gaze turning behind her to find Jax leaning against the wood looking directly at her. She smiles and nods her head gesturing for him to come in. He climbs over the fencing and slowly comes near them. The colt goes stiff seeing the newcomer before she high tails it to the other side of the fencing. Natalia sighs but still turns with a happy smile to Jax. 

Once she is within reach, he doesn't hesitate taking her into his arms. Her tight fitted jeans making his own pants slightly tighter. She is wearing a black tank top allowing the top of her breast to peak out. Jackson tries very hard to keep his eyes north. His gaze landing on her luscious lips before he leans down pecking the soft petals lightly. His eyes then snap up to find her chocolate irises sparking and her pearly whites on display. He smiles along with her as she wraps her arms around his neck pulling him in for a hug. 

"Did you sleep well?" Natalia ask gently. She feels Jax nod his head on her shoulder. She pulls back enough to see his face. "When did you wake?"

"Better question is when did you?"

Natalia shrugs not recalling when she woke up. She knows it was way before the sun but her mind kept going over the books she had to balance. She gave up and got up to go to her study. She finished them and went for a morning jog in the dark. She came back as the sun was coming up. The signal it was time for the daily work. Miguel informed her of the birth of the colt and she knew she would be working with it. 

"I couldn't sleep... things to do."

Jax looks to her with worried eyes but doesn't comment. It wasn't his place... yet. He leaned forward to kiss her cheek allowing his lips to linger on her skin. 

"You are beautiful Natalia..."

His words soft as he intakes her scent. Her shampoo still lingering of coconuts. She blushes and chuckles not truly believing him. She has a thin film of sweat coating her and she sure she smells of horse manure. 

"Not as good as you Jax." He smirks pulling back to wink at her. "Where's Cass?"

Jax then looks around not completely sure. "I last saw her on the back porch when I came back down. Not sure if she is still there..."

"Shouldn't you be aware of where your client is at Mr. Fillmore?"

He pulls her closer coiling her into his frame. She doesn't object rather leans into his hold. His eyes holding hers. 

"Ms. Thornton, I do believe I have another important person to watch over."