VII. All On the Line

Nothing about the commute to Wyndon Stadium had been nerve-racking for Marcus in months, not since his battle with Leon. He'd come to start battling in this stadium so frequently since becoming champion that he no longer had much issue with the anticipation that the gargantuan stadium would often evoke from trainers who arrived before it. From Marcus's perspective, it was one of the few indicators of his own personal growth in terms of his overall confidence.

Today, he was more anxious about the events to transpire within the stadium than he had been in months, and he wasn't even the one battling.

"C'mon, mate, she'll be fine", Hop's voice reassured Marcus as the two stepped off of the bus and onto the parking lot pavement together. "This is Marnie we're talking about."

Marcus wholeheartedly agreed with this sentiment. This is Marnie we're talking about - those six words alone said a lot about the kind of match that today's audience was in for. Marnie was cunning and she was smart. Her battles with the champion since they'd first met one another helped her to develop a more unpredictable style. Her Pokemon were strong and ready to take on any opponent without fear or hesitation. Most of all, though, she and her team were headstrong - until the final call of the match was made, her determination did not waiver. She would not back down from any challenger no matter what, and on a day like today, that factor would be amped up even further.

And yet, something just felt off today. It was as if he could sense it...

"It's not that I'm worried about her abilities", Marcus explained to Hop as the two ascended the stone stairs to the entrance of the stadium. "Her skills are second-to-none, there's no questioning that."

"Then... what's the worry for?", Hop asked curiously.

Marcus looked to the ground as the two walked together. "I'm worried about her", he said. "There's a lot riding on this match for her. I just hope that whatever pressure she's putting on herself over it doesn't take away from the fight we all know she has in her."

Hop nodded in understanding. He had recognized the kind of worry Marcus had described - the same worry he himself felt for Marcus as he was preparing to challenge Leon. He smirked. "Well, if that's the case, I'm feeling a pep-talk in me!", he exclaimed with a smile. "Let's go find her and give her our best before her showdown!"

Marcus nodded in agreement as the two made their way inside. He would feel a lot better about everything if he could know that she was feeling better about everything.

. . .

Marnie had just finished tying the laces of her black trainer's shoes as she sat on a bench in the locker room of the stadium. Having gotten her gym leader's uniform on, all there was left to do now was wait for the call to the pitch. The tension weighed heavy already as she sat with her hands clasped together and eyes to the ground, contemplating every strategy and counter-strategy to every possible scenario she could imagine. It was all she could do to keep from losing out to her own anxiety in that moment.

"Gym Leader Marnie?", the voice of a League official could be heard speaking from outside the locker room.

Marnie snapped up to attention.

"You have a couple of guests who've requested to see you."

She sat there for a moment in a silent daze, as if not entirely present in the moment.

"...Should I send them away?", the league official asked.

"No", Marnie finally replied, "you can send them in."

The door opened, and Marcus and Hop stepped inside.

"Hey, Marnie!", Hop began with an energetic grin. "Today's the day, huh?"