Escape

She was lying on the cold bathroom floor for the last two hours, crying her heart out.

It was three in the morning, but she couldn't sleep, and that was how she ended up sobbing on the bathroom floor.

She gazed at the blade in her hand for a few seconds, thinking whether she should reconsider her decision or not.

But then, the words of her neighbours and relatives ringed in her ears. She grabbed a fistful of her hair as their faces flashed in the back of her mind.

"Characterless"
"Disgrace"
"She was asking for it."
"She is a bad girl,coming home late at night."

She also remembered how the village foreman said that she should be banished from the village along with her family.

But what was poor Lilaboti supposed to do?

Her dad, who was the only earning member of the family, became paralyzed due to a car crash, 2 years ago.

Was it her fault, that she wanted to be established? Was it her fault, that she wanted to keep studying?

And was it her fault, that she wanted to help her family by carrying her own expenses by herself?

It was nine at night. She was coming back home after finishing tutoring her students. That's when it happened....

She winced at the memory. Slow sobs escaped her lips from deep inside of her heart, as uncontrollable tears coursed down her cheeks.

"Please let me go. I promise I won't tell a soul- please let me go-"

"Shut up, you bitch." The guys holding her let out a humorless laugh.

"No please-Aah"

She suddenly let out a shriek as one of the guys hit her in the stomach.

As his boots collided with her belly, she started to cough violently and her whole body vibrated with pain.

She was screaming the whole time, begging them to let her go-

"No" She shook her head. She couldn't do it. Not anymore.

Her body was trembling like a leaf in the wind. She broke down into loud sobs through the suppressed sound of hiccups.

Finally, she lifted her hand. She slowly placed the blade on the vein of her left hand.
With trembling hands, she gritted her teeth and cut the vein in a single action. The blade went right to the skin of her wrist, slashing across it in a swift movement.

Blood started flowing from her hands uncontrollably, which resembled the way tears were falling from her eyes. She rested her head on the cold bathroom tiles once again and looked up at the ceiling.

Her eyelids dropped, as she headed towards the road to escape, leaving the cruel world behind........

A/N: On an average, nearly 13 women and girls were raped in Bangladesh everyday. Within the last six months of the current year (January to June,2020), the number of rape incident reached 731. 28 of them committed suicide, and many tried to.

Don't you think it is the right time we raise our voices?

Protestations are going on in Bangladesh. You can join the facebook events and then go protest.