I Thought You Loved Me

"I would prefer if you didn't talk to her like that," Cory's eyes narrowed at Lilith's mother, "you can clearly see you're upsetting her."

Something in her mother snapped, she grabbed her plate of food without thought or caution as the meal fell onto the table and she charged at Cory with the plate held up high, ready to use as a weapon. Lilith stood in between with her hand held up in front of her mother, almost to show she meant no harm.

"Woah mom, what the fuck?" Her eye's widened in fear as she never saw her mother's temper  get that bad. The fear grew to dread as she saw the emptiness in her mother's face.

"I thought you loved me," She spoke with a softness, catching both Lilith and her boyfriend off guard. Her daughter's head cocked at her with confusion. "I didn't think you'd choose someone over your own mother, especially one that has been nothing but rude all night."

"I'm not choosing him over you, mom."

"But you are." She gripped the plate hard until her knuckles turned white. "He thinks I'm upsetting you. Was I upsetting you?" Her eyes glossed over with innocence, washing out the rage in her eyes.

Lilith could feel the worry in the back of her mind and an itch in the back of her throat as she opened her mouth, "I mean, you can be a little mean sometimes."

Her mother grabbed the plate and smashed it onto the table, "You are choosing him!" Cory moved Lilith out of the way.

"I'm not." She cried, her eyes welling up with tears.

"Prove it." A smile filled with malice flashed across her face as she looked at Cory. She defensively held a bloody shard in her hand, the biggest out of the pieces she smashed. "Take the shard."

"What?" Lilith almost seemed shocked. "No! Why would I take it? Mom, just put it down and let us just leave. It's been a long night."

"Either you take it or I'll gut your little boy toy. Don't test me." The emptiness returned to her mother's eyes.

"No." She cried and shook her head.

"I'll stab myself in the neck if you don't take it." The vacant stare showed she wasn't bluffing and Lilith grabbed the shard without hesitation. "Now so you don't try anything sneaky, I have this." She pulled out a sharp knife and grabbed her daughter's boyfriend close, holding the knife to his stomach. "You choose or I do."

Lilith looked at them both, thinking of which she couldn't live without. Her heart tore into two as she plunged the shard into the one she chose, an agonizing shriek leaving her and her victim's mouth.

Their eyes filled with shock, blood spitting out of their mouth as they muttered their last words, "I thought you loved me."

Who do you think she stabbed? Thank you for taking the time to read my short story! Happy month of Halloween!

I Thought You Loved MeOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara