Chapter 12: Following the script

“I think… I shouldn’t act with P’Mew after all,” Gulf told his manager the next day while they were on their way to Mew’s last shoot for his movie. The older husband had arranged for P’Best to pick him up in the afternoon, under the excuse that he wanted Gulf to rest well. He probably just didn’t want to talk to Gulf, after what had happened the day before.

His manager sighed; eyes locked on the road as he took another turn. “I knew you were going to say this, N’Gulf, and I understand you,” How could you ever understand me? “But I’m afraid the contract has already been signed,” P’Best spoke.

Gulf nodded, biting his lips. He had expected this kind of answer from P’Best. “Isn’t there a way out?” he still asked, unable to give up.

P’Best shook his head. “I’m sorry, you know this is how it works.”

I don’t know though.

Gulf laughed a little, dry and without humor. “I guess it’s my own fault, for saying I wanted to act together during the interview.” His own dumb and unknowing answer, biting him in the ass right now.

The original Gulf had been right, it was foolish to act together with Mew again. It was only going to end up in more confusion from all sides, more hurt for Gulf. It didn’t matter which Gulf anymore; it was now a matter they could both agree on. He wished he could take some distance from the older man, but that was now impossible. On top of the public appearances they had to do, there was also a movie shoot planned now. And Gulf would have to act which was another story altogether.

Gulf opened the sunscreen above him, to block Bangkok’s sun at first but then he took notice of the mirror.

He would have to act as someone who is in love, but the person he loves doesn’t return his feelings.

The script is like a mirror to my own.

P’Best coughed, bringing Gulf out of his thoughts. The manager had looked tired earlier, and Gulf suddenly wondered if he was getting sick. Knowing how much the manager did for him, Gulf felt a little bad. He shouldn’t ask things that burdened him like this. It’s better to deal with these feelings on his own.

“It’s okay, thank you,” Gulf mumbled. He looked at the mirror again, experimenting with his mouth until it turned into a smile. From now on, this smile wasn’t going to leave his face. He would get through all this, until he could finally return home.

They drove up onto the shooting location, and Gulf could already see Mew standing in a corner. He was talking with his female co-star while drinking coffee, script forgotten next to them. Gulf felt a little bit sick. He blamed it on the thought of coffee and shrugged it off. Then he got an idea.

He turned towards his manager, who was in the middle of parking. “P’Best, do you think I could request an actor change?” he suddenly asked his manager. If the latter seemed surprised at the sudden question, it didn’t show on his face.

“You want N’Mild off the crew?” the manager asked, voice sounding professional.

Gulf had to suppress a laugh. “No, of course not, I’m talking about her,” he pointed at the co-actor standing next to Mew. His manager stared at them; brows raised in confusion. “Do you think you could change the female lead to her?” He was aware how ridiculous he sounded right now. But he knew how much him and Gulf meant for this movie. If they wanted to keep their main actors, they would surely make a little sacrifice, right?

“Eh..” his manager was at loss for words at first. Then he picked up his phone, suddenly typing something. “I can try for sure,” he said without looking up.