Katie Is Basically My Mom

The day we met Natalie was probably one of the longest days of my life.

Connor and I made it back to camp around ten thirty that night. Chiron, Travis, Skylar Parker and Katie Gardner were waiting for us.

I kind of expected Chiron to be the angry one of the bunch, but it was Skylar and Katie who started yelling first.

"Where in the gods' names were you two?" Katie had demanded, stepping closer to us.

Skylar hopped over to Connor with a hurt face. "What made you think leaving would be a good idea? Is almost dying not a big enough warning?"

It was weird because I had never really talked to Katie Gardner outside of Cabin meets, but she turned to me with firey eyes.

"Was this Connor's idea?"

I was momentarily petrified. Now, Katie was only a year or two older than me, but she acted like my mother.

"I, uh..."

Connor remained calm and interrupted my stuttering with, "It was my idea. I know it was stupid, but something happened that we need to talk about."

-------------------------------

"Human?"

"She has a brother here?"

Connor sat back from the conference table and nodded. "Yeah, step-brother. Austin from Apollo."

Travis leaned forward, trying to get more out of his brother. "Does he know that she's a part of all this?"

The younger Stoll brother shrugged. "Probably not. We're the only ones who know about our special friend in the basement.

Four of the demigods held their breath at that. They weren't supposed to know about Luke.

Chiron started saying, "Mr. Sto-"

Jake interrupted, "But the thing is, why are they harrassing Natalie? The monsters know she's human and can't see them. How do they expect to get what they want from her?"

"You boys have taken quite the liking for this girl, haven't you?" Chiron growled.

I frowned at him. What was that supposed to mean?

"Yeah, we talked to her," Connor said with a confused face as well. "She knew we were demigods, that wasn't anything we told her. She told us about Luke, we didn't-"

"Mr. Stoll!" Chiron shouted. "I suggest you stop."

"No, don't you see? Hiding these problems only make it worse when they're discovered. We can't hide Luke. We need to solve this problem before another war is started!"

Connor was standing now. The room was quiet.

I didn't know where the thought of a war had come from, but it didn't seem impossible.

Skylar put a hand on her boyfriend's but didn't tell him to sit. She looked to Chiron.

"If hiding Luke until he dies is what you think the best plan is, we need to reevaluate," Skylar told him.

Connor seemed impressed. A little smirk grew on his face, he looked like he was going to kiss her.

I really hoped he wouldn't. I had already seen enough of that.

"What do you suggest we do?" Chiron shot back.

Katie took this one. "Luke should be up here with us, discussing the possible reasons for the monsters' interests in the girl."

Chiron looked at all five of them. "Alright, but if one word of this leaves the Big House there will be repercussions."

"Sounds good," Connor summed. "I'll go get the prisoner."

It was quiet once he left. Travis and Katie only exchanged small whispers. The rest of us were silent.

Luke came in the room after Connor. He didn't say anything at first, he only looked around.

He didn't seem surprised at any of us. His eyes lingered on Travis for a moment longer, but that was it.

"Join us," Chiron muttered, motioning to a chair.

Luke obeyed and sat.

"Alright, let's get started," Connor spoke with amusement in his eyes.