3. Finally

Chapter track
A window to the past- John Williams
____________________________________

November 14, 2011
Monday

Pain—such a small word for such a devastating feeling. Every surviving body in this world has seen its effects, whether physically or mentally—big or small alike. Acute, chronic or even fatal—not a single being has ever managed to escape its impact.

Me being the unluckiest amongst many—have known and felt the various shades of it. Had it been the times when I had to almost choke with uncountable numbers of painkillers just to catch a few glances of sleep or when the blissful dreams of my old memories suddenly turned into haunting nightmares.

Why? Why me?

I can't remember a single morning when I didn't despise my life when I realize that I can't even feel the half of me.

It's so overwhelming sometimes that I feel like ending everything for good—just slit my wrist and drain myself in the pool of blood until the last bit of my life found it's way out of me even if it meant to burn in hell.

But is it so simple?—Never. At least not the times when I tried. How could a small blade possibly kill me when half of my body wasn't ready to die in that horrific accident.

Now I'm stuck with that stupid psychiatrist. My parents really must be thinking than I'm mad or something, but have they ever tried to know what I am dealing with everyday? Have they ever figured out that I am just a dead soul trapped inside a partially livings body?
         _____________________________

Nikhil rested his head over his folded arms above the closed diary and stared at his computer far at the right side for a few minutes which felt like forever—trying to fight the urge to talk to her.

He eventually gave up his stubbornness—moving towards the machine and following the instructions of his itching fingers to log in for his own sake.

As soon as the home page appeared, he was bombarded with the blings of messages along with the increasing number of digits above the icon.

To his amusement—all of them were from her.

"Hey", "How are you?","Are you alright?", "Is something wrong?", "I'm sorry if I've said or did something offensive", "At least tell me what's wrong", "You're making me worry", "Why are you avoiding me?"—
The series of text went on and they were more than he could read before a fresh message appeared-

Aahana: Finally

Nikhil: Hey

Aahana: Don't you dare avoid me like that again!

Nikhil: I won't. I'm sorry

Aahana: Never mind. At least you're back

Nikhil: Yes, I am. How have you been?

Aahana: Well, I've had better days. What about you?

Nikhil: A bit better now, I guess

Aahana: I'm sorry

Nikhil: Why?

Aahana: Last time, the conversation obviously turned sour. I really shouldn't have forced you to open up. Should've respected your privacy

Nikhil: Don't say that. It's my fault, I have issues—you had no idea

Aahana: Everyone has troubles, I can understand

Nikhil: Yeah

Aahana: When my mum was alive, life seemed much easier, at least she was there by my side to guide me through my issues. I know it sounds clićhe but she was my friend, I could tell her everything but now that she's gone-I feel like I have no one. All my "so-called friends" aren't reliable, always keen to find faults and feed on gossips

Nikhil: You can rely on me

Aahana: I know, that's why I've been constantly messaging you ever since you went AWOL

Nikhil: I won't do that again, trust me this time

Aahana: I hope so

Nikhil: I still envy you though. I don't even know how it feels to be so close to parents. I've lived away from them most of my life.

Aahana: Where are they?

Nikhil: Here. This place is my "home" and I'm only living here since the incident. I'd been living in the school dormitory in Delhi since my kindergarten days. I don't complain about staying there though, I was happier there than I'd ever been here.

Aahana: Must've been awesome living with friends.

Nikhil: Indeed

Aahana: I've never even experienced a sleepover

Nikhil: We can't expect to get everything we want

Aahana: That's true

Nikhil: When are you planning to sleep?

Aahana: Anytime now.

Nikhil: Are you using your phone to use messenger?

Aahana: Yeah, aren't you?

Nikhil: Nope, I just use WhatsApp on my phone. Never really found Facebook very necessary. I wonder why I'm still using this site.

Aahana: Do you regret talking to me?

Nikhil: No, never. I didn't mean it that way. I don't find using Facebook necessary anymore. Friends and all, they are just for words here. I don't enjoy seeing or showing unnecessary photographs and all. What's the point of having hundreds of friends online and not being able to talk to even one of them.

Aahana: You're talking to me

Nikhil: Which is still surprising you know?

Aahana: lol

Nikhil: Anyway, I'm mostly available on WhatsApp... so, would you mind sharing your number?

Aahana: It would be a pleasure to be a part of your elite group of contacts.

Nikhil: lol... You're crazy

Aahana: Isn't it?

_____________________________________

A/N: So, what do you think?

Do leave a comment and don't forget to vote...

Happy reading, love ya