Fantasies Sometimes Come True-Chapter 4

Chapter 4

     "Jake!" I yelled. I looked over to Isabel and saw her looking just as confused as I felt. What was with him? In a silent agreement, we both jumped over the bush after him. Without the trees blocking us from the sun, its power went full blast on us. I put my hand on my forehead to block the sun and I squinted. Jake was up ahead, running towards a bunch of signs clustered together behind a big stretch of bush. The slope Isabel had led us up on continued on. Just straight on like flat land, except it wasn't. It seemed to border the left side of the Lake, while another fence bordered the right.

     This meant that we were out in the open. As usual, Jake has been careless and hadn't paid much attention to the fact that it was still day time. Anybody who walked by would see us. Good thing this part of town was always deserted and empty but some people walk by from time to time. We have to go back into the safety of the trees.

     I may be a little paranoid right now but maybe I don't want to be in a jail cell. I run after Jake, making my feet go faster. He had run a long ways down and now I had to catch up to him. Every time my foot hit the ground, an electric shock rode up my leg, aiming for home: My cut. I push myself faster, my lungs taking in as much air as they can, leaving my insides hurting as well. I glance behind me quickly, to make sure Isabel is following me and...she's not.

     I do a double take and notice her hiding behind a tree, pointing wildly behind her. Her eyes dart around nervously and her body stays rigid and tight against the tree. I follow where she's pointing and see them: Two people walking from across the street. They're far away but if they cross the street, they'd have a perfect view of us. My heart starts to beat faster as I see them heading towards the corner where you have to cross.

     I look back to Jake and see that he's still headed toward those stupid signs. Well, curiosity did kill the cat. If only he'd slow down, I'd reach him faster. And I can't scream for him to stop, the people across the street will hear me. So close. Four steps, three, two-

     Just an inch out of my grasp, I leap onto his shoulders, bringing both of us tumbling down. He trips over the waist-high bushes in front us, my weight plus his not helping to avoid the fall. It all happens as if in slow motion as Jake falls over the bushes and onto the other side of them, sending me falling down after him. He lands on his back and just as he opens his eyes I land on him, knocking all the air out of him. My head hits his chest hard.

     "Owww," Jake groans, shifting so that I slide off of him. I land on my back on his left side, glad that the bushes are keeping us hidden from the people. I apologize awkwardly, "Err...Sorry, Jake."

     "Uh, you mind telling me why you pounced on me like a freaking cat?" I felt my cheeks burn as I blushed at his comment.

     "I...people were coming. From across the street. And-and I knew they'd see us so..." I trail off, knowing I must sound like a stuttering dweeb.

     "So you attacked me like Rambo?" Jake said, finishing my sentence.

     "What? No...I couldn't scream for you to stop with those people right there."

     "Right. Okay. If it was really all worth my rib cage breaking," Jake says, holding his hand next to his ribs. I look at him wide eyed and with my mouth hanging open as I reply, "I am not that heavy!"

     "You're right. You're not fat, you just weigh a ton!"

     "Jake, you little..." I punch him on the arm and he sighs.

     "Yeah, it hurt more when you landed on me." No more time for being sneaky and cautious now. It is on. Jake leaps up and starts to run, getting swiftly out of my grip. Smart boy. I jump up after him, hoping he'd trip or something so that I could get him easier. Isabel, who had been walking towards us, stopped abruptly to watch me chase Jake all the way back to our original hiding spot within the trees.