| 02 |

Midnight sky

The walk is mostly silent as we make our way to his house, with only the sound of crunching leaves and the calming night breeze accompanying us.

It's quite comfortable, much to my surprise. He seems to feel the same way, his hands shoved in his pockets as we walk.

I was so caught up staring at our peaceful surroundings, that I didn't notice that we had already arrived at his place.

"Welcome to my humble abode." The guy shyly says before opening the door and letting us in.

"Wow." I say as I take in his place.

"W-what do you think?" He asks rubbing the back of his neck.

"It's lovely! And very cozy." I say giving him a smile, the boy visibly relaxing at the comment.

"You really think so?" He asks and I furiously nod, smiling at how simple yet cozy his place is.

"Well....um...I-I made some tea earlier, would you like some?" He asks and seeing as to how he is fidgeting with his fingers, I can tell that he is really nervous.

"Yes, I love tea." I say and his face lights up with a small smile.

"Okay! Let me bring it." He says disappearing somewhere around the kitchen area.

Meanwhile, a bookshelf in the back of his living room catches my attention, my eyes drawn to the rows and rows of books placed there.

A clattering sound on the kitchen breaks my trance, and I rush to the kitchen as I hear a loud thump, finding the guy on the floor with a broken cup next to him.

"Are you okay?" I say walking around the pieces, offering a hand to help him up. He stares at my hand for a few seconds before he shakes his head and he takes it, slightly wincing as he stands up.

"I'm okay." He says letting on my hand, gently leaning against the counter, his back facing me. "I just tripped and dropped one of the cups."

"It's alright." I say with a small smile, grabbing a towel and picking up the small pieces. "There. All done." I say wiping my hands, following him back to the living room.

"So...." I start trying to break the awkward atmosphere. "My name is EunAe." I say offering a hand for him to shake.

"Namjoon." He says shaking my hand, offering a small smile as he does so, dimples slightly appearing on his cheeks.

Retracting my hand, I give him a nod and wrap my hands around the warm cup with tea, which we managed to still save after the incident.

"So...." He starts, slightly glancing at me from the corner of his eyes, "um...are we...um...we're partners r-right?"

"Y-yes," I reply taking a sip of my tea, "I t-think so." I add avoiding eye contact, the atmosphere growing more and more awkward with each passing second.

After what seems like an eternity, Namjoon stands up and stretches his arms. "Well, it getting late. How about calling it a night?"

"Sounds good."

"I'll take you to the guest room." He says and I quietly follow behind him, bowing when he opens the door and flips the switch on. "I can take you back to town tomorrow morning if you want."

"Thank you for everything Namjoon." I say with a smile.

"It's no problem." He says looking at the ground. "See you tomorrow then." He adds closing the door, leaving me with my thoughts as I lay on the bed.

                                                           ▼△▼△▼△▼

Namjoon blankly stares at the ceiling as he lays on his bed, his eyes glancing at the door every once in a while.

Is this real or was it a dream?

He wonders letting out a sigh as he turns on his side.

Should I go check?

After debating whether to go check or not, the burning itch to go check finally wins and he finds himself heading towards the guest room, surprised when he sees his partner standing at the doorway, her face deep in thought.

"Can't sleep?" He asks and partner shakes her head.

"Nope. You?"

"Me either." He says with a low chuckle. "Do you want to go outside?" He asks, his partner raising a brow in curiosity. "Come on. Follow me."

Together they exit through one of the windows, climbing to the roof top where millions of stars are visible in the night sky.

"Woah." EunAe says amazed as they look at the sky. "It's so pretty!"

"I'm glad you think so." Namjoon says with a smile, positioning himself on the roof so that he is comfortably laying down. With a smile of her own, the girl does the same, enjoying the comfortable silence that engulfs them.

Out of the corner of their eyes, EunAe notices Namjoon glancing at her once in a while, his expression hard to decipher.

"What's on your mind?" She asks turning on her side.

"Um nothing much." Namjoon quickly says, embarrassed that he got caught. "I just, I guess I'm just surprised that I have a partner, that's all." He says in a quiet voice, slightly surprised when the girl nods in agreement.

"For me too." EunAe says offering a reassuring smile. "Most of my friends have had their partners for the longest time, and since I hadn't met mine, I thought I ... didn't have one." She adds in a lower tome.

After a small pause he speaks up again, this time sitting up and offering a hand as he stands. "Well, I'm glad to see that's not the case." He says, EunAe taking his hand. "But now we definitely need some rest. We can talk more tomorrow."

With a warm feeling in their hearts, Namjoon and EunAe make their way to their room, feeling excited for the first time in a long time.

Hope you're enjoying the story so far! Thank you for reading. 💛
~Van
(2020.10.16)