Chapter 40 - Nightmare

Začať od začiatku

"God damn it! I was almost asleep you asshole!" I yelled at the guy, who simply called "Shut the fuck up and go to sleep kid" before slamming the door shut and surely waking everybody on this floor up. Fucktart. Great, now I was awake again. I was about to start my internal or maybe loud rant about how we didn't even get food sometimes and now they wanted to take our sleep away from us as well, when I noticed Wendy standing in the room, not having moved one bit. 

"Wendy? Everything alright?" I asked, frowning, as I rubbed my eyes to see clearer and Wendy was still standing in the dark, not moving one bit. "Mhm" she simply replied, but it was a little too high pitched to sound normal and convincing. It looked straight out of a horror movie. Wendy, with her auburn blonde hair, standing in the shadow of the room, stiff as a stick and not moving at all with a high bitched voice...but I knew that I wasn't about to get murdered by Bloody Mary or shit, honestly that bitch would do me a favor, but that something was wrong with my best friend. 

After a while, Wendy started walking and she sat down on the edge of her bed, her hands digging onto the mattress, as she had her head hung low and I could make out through the darkness, that she was frowning. I turned around, clipping on the light on the nightstand and letting my eyes get used to the bright light, that was suddenly blinding me, before I sat up, pulling my blanket up to my chest, to keep me warm, as I took a closer look at Wendy, who, from what I could make out through her head hung low, looked almost as if she had an encounter with Bloody Mary herself. 

"What's wrong?" I asked, genuinely worried and Wendy lifted her head at that, tears shimmering in her eyes and now I was actually very fucking worried. What had those assholes done, huh?? Electricuted her?? But she was being good, she hadn't done anything wrong!! Maybe the masturbatory reconditioning? But why in the middle of the night and not during the one on one sessions?? A thousand possible torture methods ran through my head, one worse than the next. "Hey, what happened??" I asked, very worried, but still careful to give her the time and space she needed, to actually process whatever it was they had done. Maybe the talk with her dad on the phone had upset her, if that was what she had been called for and I actually hoped for that less painful option. 

"I-....I think-....I just got raped" she mumbled and my blood ran as cold as ice at those words as my heart sunk into my stomach.

"What??" I asked, my voice almost getting stuck in my throat, as I hastily sat up, my arms feeling weak as the words registered in my brain. Wendy stared ahead with a frown, as a tear rolled down her cheek and I couldn't even form a better thing to say, after my dumbfounded question. I stared at Wendy even though in retrospect, that was probably not very helpful and wrong, but she didn't even look at me, she seemed to be still processing what had just happened to her. She didn't say anything and really, what could she have said to my dumb question? 

I waited, letting the words sink in for a moment, because I just- I couldn't believe it or maybe I also didn't want to believe it. Not that Wendy was lying, I just did not want to imagine that happening to my best friend. But by the way she stared ahead, tears rolling down her face, I knew that this was real and not just a nightmare I was having in a world, where I had magically fallen asleep, while she was away, calling her dad. This was reality and something very bad had just happened to my best friend. Wendy didn't seem to be very present at the moment, but that was ok. 

I didn't really know what to do now and then I remembered, how I had felt after James had attacked me. I remembered how good it had felt, that Kenneth was close and so I hesitantly got up and walked over to Wendy's bed, asking "Can I sit next to you?" Wendy slowly lifted her head, looking at me through the tears, before she pressed out a hint of a smile, nodding her head. Carefully, just in case she would decide otherwise, I sat down next to her, leaving some space, because I did not want to make her uncomfortable right now in the least bit.