Chapter 5

Distance

It was all I wanted for the longest time — to open my eyes and see you there. To stretch out my hand and touch the soft, yielding warmth of your skin. But now I have learned the secret of distance. Now I know being close to you was never about the proximity.

- Lang Leav

"His bone marrow lab result shows that his blast cells are increasing...... again. Therefore, I conclude that he's relapsing for the second time, Gulf," Mild carefully delivered the news to the parent who wears a blank face. Gulf shows no reaction. Mild knows that the said man somehow has prepared for this kind of news.

"Good news is we don't see any lymph node enlargement yet based on his X-ray result. I hope it'll stay like that. So, now we have come to the most crucial part. The treatment," Mild paused for a while before continuing.

"We've only 2 options, either to go for more intensive chemotherapy or...... stem cell transplant."

Silence. Gulf looked away.

"Can he wait for another 9 months?" Gulf asked, eyes on Mild again.

"To answer your question as a doctor, I don't really have any firm one, but so far, his prognosis can be considered not at the good level. But if I could answer this as your friend, I'd say that I believe he can wait. He's a strong little boy,"

***

Mew went into Liam's room as usual with dinner in his hands. He grinned as soon as his children's innocent faces came into his view.

"Daddy!" Lily greeted his father while running towards him, reaching out to help take the plastic bags from Mew's hands.

The little girl carefully put them onto the table across Gulf. The dinner went smoothly as usual. It was 30 minutes past 10 when Mew was about to excuse himself along with Lily, but Gulf stopped him from doing so.

"I have something to say," Gulf said before leaving the room. Mew failed to answer the latter.