Chapter 1: Signal Summertime

AN: For the sake of some story right here, James Colt is Ruby's homeroom teacher. 

Ruby Rose PoV

Summer! It's finally here! Something about this year made it feel like it dragged on for AGES. It was a few minutes before the final bell rang, so we were all standing around the room talking. I look to the front of the room and see Professor Colt quickly typing on his scroll. He's usually quiet like this, never really showing up for any school events. Even in class, he kept his tactics class short and simple. I can count the amount of times I've seen him actually smile on my hands. I guess he gets to be like that though, with his pretty well known military service. And he's only 18. I go and talk to him. 

James Colt PoV 

"Hey, Professor..." Ruby said, walking up to me. 

"What's up Ms. Rose?" I put my scroll down. 

"I was just wondering... why did you join the military so early?" 

"It's something I don't want to talk about." 

"Why?" 

"Because I'd rather not spill a tragic life story to you." 

"Oh... well, I'd just like to say it was fun being in you class this year." 

"And you still have another two years. So I'll be seeing a lot more of you Ms. Rose. I can guess you're gonna miss your sister." 

"Yah, I'll miss her. She's going off and living at Beacon while I'm stuck at Patch..." 

"I wouldn't say that. Patch is a great place to live. Quiet, idealistic, a great place for a hero to grow up." 

"Hey, I heard what you squeezed in there at the end!" She punches my arm. 

"It's true. Plenty of skilled huntsman live there, including your uncle and dad." 

"Oh! I never asked! What is it like, working with dad?!"

"Well, Taiyang cares about his students, that's for sure. I mean, the guy is literally the definition of a stereotypical dad. Including his fashion choices." 

"Not all of us can pull off long coats, okay!" 

"Whatever, look, the bell is about to ring. So go and get out of here." I say this and she walks away, big smile on her face. I look up at the clock. 10 seconds until the bell rings. 

Taiyang PoV 

"God, why does James always forget his damn mug everywhere!" I say to myself, walking down the halls towards his classroom, mug in hand. The bell rings. "Oh shit!" I dash to the wall of the hallway, and the flood of rushing students dash past me. After what felt like ages, the rug goes by. I take a deep breathe and continue walking. I take a turn and go right into James's room. I enter and he's squeezing a stress ball so hard it seems like it's about to burst. 

James Colt PoV 

Alright, James, it was just the students. It was nothing. So just take a deep breathe. I ease myself up and stand up, gathering my stuff. 

"For God's sake James, remember your stuff when you come into my room!" He puts my mug on my desk. 

"Yah, sure." I close the brief case I keep my stuff in and lock it up. I take my mug and put it in my coat. 

"What was that before? You were-" 

"It was nothing." I get defensive. 

"Hey, I was just asking. It seemed like you were gonna pop that thing." 

"Like I said, it was nothing." 

"James, you take the long way around school to avoid the combat classroom. You get jumpy at pretty much any loud noise, and you're pretty much silent in teacher's meetings. Is something wrong?"

"I said it was nothing, Tai." I walk past him. I'm walking through the halls and I get a call. "Hello?"

"This is Professor James Colt, correct?" A male voice comes over the phone. 

"Yep. Who's this then?" 

"The Headmaster of Beacon Academy." 

"Ozpin? What in the world do you want with me?" 

"Simple, really. I want you to teach here at Beacon." 

"That's a great offer, but I've only worked at Signal for a year as of today." 

"True, but that's not a problem." 

"Even if that was true, what about the fact that most of the students there will be older than me?" 

"They'll learn to move on." 

"And I need lodging." 

"Provided." 

"And what about the tests I need to take in order to qualify as a higher level professor?" 

"We waved those." 

"And isn't that illegal?" 

"And how many questions are you planning on asking?" 

"As many as it takes for you to get it." 

"I see then... mind if we meet in person? It would make this much easier." 

"I'm... oh, fine. Where?" 

"How about my office?"

"Sure. When do you want me to be there?" 

"At your earliest convenience." He hangs up. 

"Would it hurt that much to say bye?" I sigh and put my scroll pack in my coat. I walk out and see the few remaining students waiting for their parents to pick them up. Two of those people are, of course, Yang and Ruby. I walk off campus and down the street to the ports that the airbuses that go to Beacon take off from. "Well... guess it's already time for a new job."