Chapter 30: Kacchan, Deku, And Aho

Start from the beginning

Bakugou's gaze hardened. He was angry. Angrier at that damned nerd than he'd ever been in his life. He'd tricked him, and lied to him for years... and for what? To make him look like a fool and laugh behind his back? Though nobody could deny that Bakugou emanated murderous intent, a small part of him twinged at the sighed of Izumina crying. It was pathetic. But yet, he couldn't help but remember how she had cried when he and Deku fought for the last time at Aldera. He hated watching her cry, and he hated knowing that it was because of him even more.

Just then, the communicator in Bakugou's ear went off. "Hey, Bakugou," Iida spoke over the radio. "Give me your status! What happened?" Nobody could hear Iida's words but Bakugou at that moment, and Bakugou was done with distractions.

Bakugou angrily raised a finger to his earpiece before speaking. "Just shut up and defend," he ordered as his gaze briefly flickered from Izumina to Izuku. He stared Izumina down, her green eyes matching his red ones defiantly. "I'm really angry right now!"

Izumina's lip twitched as she heard Bakugou's sudden declaration. It took a moment for her to realize he must've been talking to Iida.

"I'm not asking about how you feel!" Iida spoke, unheard by the three heroes surrounding Bakugou.

"You already managed to lose Aho! Guard better!"

"Aho? Do you mean Yūsha? Hey!" Iida exclaimed but it was too late. Bakugou had already hung up.

Bakugou threw his arm down dramatically before sparks ignited in the palm of his hand. Izuku gasped, realizing what was about to happen, before yelling. "Izumi, Uraraka, go!"

Bakugou blasted himself forwards, propelling himself with the force of his explosion.

Uraraka grabbed Izumina's arm and pulled her away from the boys just as Bakugou kicked at Izuku's head, to which he only narrowly blocked with his forearm. "Let's go," Uraraka exclaimed, tugging at Izumina who stared transfixed at the boys.

Izumina looked over at Uraraka, snapping out of her daze.

"Deku," Izumina called, causing both boys to glance in her direction. She inhaled sharply before yelling. "You can do it!"

Izuku's mouth trembled into some meek attempt at a smile, while Bakugou's glare only darkened.

"Looking away? You must be sure of yourself," Bakugou exclaimed.

Though it pained Izumina to do so, she followed Uraraka down the corridor, flinching every couple of seconds as she heard explosions and grunts coming from behind. She shook her head to clear her thoughts before taking the lead. "Iida should be guarding the bomb not too far from here. Follow me."

Uraraka nodded, exhaling in understanding, as she followed Izumina.

Izumina's gaze hardened as she retraced her steps from earlier. Without slowing down, she wiped her eyes with the back of her glove.

Noticing this, Uraraka attempted small talk. "You and Deku are close, right? What's the deal with Bakugou?"

Izumina concentrated on the metal walls of the building, as to not take a wrong turn. "Yeah, it's a long story."

Uraraka glanced over her shoulder at the way they'd come. "Do you think it was alright to leave Deku alone? Should one of us go back to help?"

"No," Izumina answered. The memory of Izuku telling Bakugou off at the end of last school year flashed through her mind.

"You've always been a hero... at least to me... Let me do this!"

Izumina knew she'd have to start letting Izuku fight his own battles. "He can handle himself," she told Uraraka truthfully. "Right now, he needs us to get to that bomb... So that's what we're going to do."