Secretly, I wondered if he was missing his own high school experience and was simply projecting that onto me, because the kind of high school experience he seemed to believe exists for everybody somehow appeared rooted in his own experience. If that was the case, it wasn't appreciated, but I was willing to listen, before I went ahead and did what I wanted to anyway. It wasn't like he could force me to continue, if I completed the requirements.

"I think you already know that my trajectory through school has been unorthodox. If you're worried about my mental and emotional development, don't be. Developmentally, I'm fine, so sticking around to make up for the fact that I skipped a grade and am younger than most of my peers is pointless. In case, you haven't noticed, I'm not exactly the most popular person around."

I played the emotional card over my dad's death to persuade him, when really all I felt was numb and annoyed that I couldn't even decide for myself how to grieve and move on. To his credit, he didn't know about circumstances at home, but he wasn't blind to the fact that Elaina and her friends liked to bully me. He had to know that it was miserable here.

In the end, he agreed, realizing that I was adamant about my new course of action.

I told Riley of my plan and while she was devastated to learn that I wouldn't be graduating with her, she was supportive. I hadn't told Zayne, but knew I would have to tell him soon.

With everything that happened so far, we hadn't resolved the issue of our changing relationship. We hung out a couple of times and I even tutored him from time to time, but his focus was solidly on football. I knew why, too. It was the only way he would be able to afford college. He needed a scholarship just like I. He wouldn't be able to afford it otherwise.

I broke then news to him over lunch.

"You're leaving next year?" Zayne questioned, stunned. His gray eyes pierced my own gaze with that unnerving intensity, like he could see right through me, dissecting me. The cafeteria was abuzz with activity as kids sat with their own groups, cliqued off into their own. Zayne usually sat with his football friends, but occasionally would wander over to me to say hi or join me for lunch.

I nodded, hoping to look casual. If he only knew why I was so eager to leave. "Yeah. There's no point in me staying."

Zayne tilted his head, studying me. These days, Zayne had become even more dangerous. I couldn't really put my finger on it, but it looked like he was losing control of his careful exterior that he erected to the world. He had more demons than I could count, but part of me knew that somewhere Zayne was still the boy who needed a friend.

"So you'll graduate at the same time as me?"

I looked up, frowning at the question. "I guess so. I just need a clean break."

"Where are you going to go?" Zayne asked.

"I want to go to college, but I'm not sure where I should go. I didn't look that closely yet." It was still too early for me, but with the sudden change of plans, I needed to get my shit together. "I was kind of thinking University of Michigan," I answered. "They have one of the best biochemistry programs. Then maybe graduate school."

Riley stopped by, as Zayne glanced between the two of us. Riley was planning on going to college too, but it wouldn't be for another two years. We were, after all, sophomores.

"So I've decided," Riley announced looking determined. "I'm going to graduate with you."

Zayne looked at her and snorted. "No you're not."

Riley shot him a glare, her green gaze pinning him in place. "No one asked you."

Zayne shrugged. "Do I look like I give a shit?"