They all put on a good show, but I could sense they were enjoying the attention from those around them more than anything else. I discovered that Robin had been in touch with more lawyers than I could count and I wasn't naïve enough to believe it didn't have anything to do with my father's will.

Riley continued to comfort me. Zayne had talked to Riley to ensure that she was beside me. I told Riley that she didn't have to, but she argued that Zayne would bury her six-feet deep if she didn't and that she wanted to. The kids at school had almost paused their bullying, as if to allow me to mourn for the loss of my father, before they decided to pick it up again. If anything, they were fawning over Elaina, as she acted like she was the victim in all of this.

Elaina had always tried to gain favor with dad, but her efforts fell flat and remained unsuccessful. It was like she couldn't shake my place in dad's heart, as much as she tried to replace me. Dad seemed to humor her, but just like I felt with Violet, he seemed to find her a little much for him. He treated them well, even encouraging me to be friends with her, but his efforts failed him, considering we were just polar opposites.

I decided it was best if I graduated from high school early and move onto college. Now that there really wasn't anything tying my stepmother to me anymore, I was eager to leave. Where I would go, I wasn't sure, but I knew I wanted to go college. I figured what difference did it make if I left to head off early?

Dad had a college fund for me that I was hoping I could get access to and luckily with a few scholarships under my belt, perhaps, I could get by without having to take out any loans nor touch any of my college savings. I knew the reality of today's world. It was never a guarantee that one would get a job after college or beyond. I needed to save every penny, until I had a steady income. Needless to say, I was scared, despite the solid goal I had in place.

I wasn't going to be turning to Robin for help anytime soon, not that she'd be inclined to lend me any assistance there. She didn't seem to value a college education for my future as anything useful. Apart from the physical and verbal abuse she hurled my way, I didn't want her cutting off my options by controlling my financial means and future. She was already making headway into ensuring that she secured all of dad's assets. She didn't know of my plans to go to college and I was careful to ensure that she was kept in the dark. Dad vaguely knew, but he had been so absent in the crucial years that he figured I didn't know myself after mom's death or rather, was still trying to figure it out. As far as Robin was concerned, she believed I had no future where it counted.

I expressed my plans to my academic counselor and he agreed that it might be for the best after a lengthy discussion. I knew it was on the tip of his tongue to discourage me from pursuing this course of action, possibly missing out on all of the milestones that high school had to offer. I wanted to snort and ask derisively what high school was he going to that he thought it was worth sticking around for?

"With all due respect, Mr. Worchester, I've exhausted all of my academic options at this high school," I responded evenly, my patience growing thin. I projected an air of indifference, looking certain of my decision to move on. "If you're concerned about my college-preparedness, I'm attending a nearby college for math because this school doesn't have the advanced math courses I need. I really don't see why it's so great that I'd be willing to stick around for another two years."

"I'm not so concerned about your work ethic, Adrienne. I know that you're on top of your game there, but there's more to school than just academics," Mr. Worchester pointed out, as he observed me with his sharp gaze. He leaned back, turning slightly in his desk chair, as he rested his elbow on his desk, a pen in his hand. "You don't think you'll miss some of the other highlights, like homecoming, spirit week, spring break, or prom? What about your friends? Not to mention that high school gives you the opportunity to grow into your own person, before you're forced out into the real world. You won't get another chance to relive your high school years again."